The Career Flagship Program is the third integrated part of your multidimensional, career focused education, alongside your MAJOR and CORE. Through this program you will complete a series of activities and action items outside of the traditional classroom setting that focus on two critical factors - Career Positioning and Personal Finance - and come together to create the cornerstone of your successful transition from college to career.
The two critical factors that you’ll focus on through this program are:
Your Career Positioning track will help you formulate your personalized career marketing plan that will outline your tangible value proposition and showcase your competitive advantage to any prospective employer.
The Personal Finance track will equip you to make viable and reliable financial career decisions. The fundamental elements learned through this sequence include: salary negotiation and evaluation of compensation packages; budget management and cost of living analysis; debt and credit management; and student loan repayment strategies.
Activities and Deliverables due Each Year
As you advance your education at Champlain, you’ll participate in a series of activities and produce deliverables that are essential to your overall career preparedness. These required activities and deliverables are strategically timed across your 4 years at Champlain, and must be completed during the academic year they are assigned for.
*New incoming students will receive detailed information over the summer about the milestones to be achieved and their specific due dates.
- Complete an Incoming Career Questionnaire on JobSpot, where you will articulate your professional interests and skills.
- Complete an Incoming Financial Assessment, where you’ll answer questions around your financial habits and overall knowledge in the topic of personal finance.
- Attend a Career A la Carte Activity*. You’ll be able to select your preferred activity from a list of career-advancing options we’ll propose to you.
- Participate in a Game of Life event, where you will produce a Budget Allocation Report based on a simulation of your financial life after graduation.
- Attend Sophomore Symposium, a conference-style event with a professional keynote and hands-on breakout sessions where you’ll have the opportunity to enhance your primary career collaterals, including resume and LinkedIn profile.
- Attend a Credit Review Day event where you will be able to learn about the importance of credit in many different aspects of your life, get to review your own FICO credit report and produce a Credit Action Plan.
- Attend a Career Fair and produce a cover letter.
- Attend a Salary Negotiation & Compensation MONEYTalk and produce a Cost of Living Analysis.
- Attend a Career A la Carte Activity*. You’ll have several different eligible career-advancing topics to choose from throughout the academic year.
- Attend a Financial A la Carte Activity*. You’ll have several different eligible career-advancing topics to choose from throughout the academic year.
- Attend a Career Fair and interact with employers in your fields of interest.
- Attend a Student Loan Repayment MONEYTalk and produce your personalized Repayment Action Plan for after graduation.
- Complete your Exit Financial Assessment. You’ll complete the same assessment you completed during your first year, and you’ll now be able to compare your progress and analyze any changes in your personal finance habits.
Since participation in the Career Flagship Program is part of Champlain’s required integrated education, students must complete all required elements by their due dates in order to register for the next semester’s courses.
(*) A minimum of one activity is required for each A la Carte milestone. You are encouraged to participate in as many as you like.
Questions regarding the Career Flagship Program can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or (802) 860-2720