Feb 28, 2024  
2013-2014 Graduate Academic Catalog 
2013-2014 Graduate Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Information and Policies


Academic Grievance Policy & Procedure

Student academic problems are to be handled initially between the student and the faculty member teaching the course involved. Students with academic grievances may use the Academic Grievance Policy and Procedure below.

Scope and Purpose

The purpose of this policy and procedure is to provide Champlain College students the opportunity for additional review of the facts pertaining to an academic decision affecting the student. Procedures are designed to provide objective and fair treatment (as provided specifically in the procedures) of both students and faculty and to resolve disputes in a timely manner.

An academic grievance is a claim that a specific academic decision or action that affects the student’s academic record or status has violated published policies or procedures or has been applied in a way that prejudicially treats the student on the basis of any non-academic status or characteristic. The assignment of grades is not generally considered a justifiable grievance under this policy unless the previously described factors can be shown to have adversely impacted that grade or evaluation. Only the Provost (chief academic officer) has the right to file an administrative grade change should a grievance involving a grade be accepted.


  1. Informal Resolution
    1. A student who believes that he or she has been aggrieved must first attempt to seek an informal resolution with the other party involved in the dispute, e.g., a grade dispute with the instructor
    2. All disputes that are not resolved directly between the parties involved are then brought to the appropriate Dean’s office, whereupon the Dean or his or her designee will seek to reach an informal resolution through mediation between the parties
    3. If the mediation at the Dean’s level fails, then the student may choose to initiate the formal resolution process within the timelines established by this procedure
  2. Formal Resolution
    1. Student grievances must be specified in writing to the Dean or his or her designee, along with supporting evidence that clearly identifies the cause of the grievance in relation to the definition of academic grievance included in this policy
    2. The second party to the dispute must also provide the Dean with a written account of the matter in dispute
    3. The Dean will convene an Academic Grievance Committee composed of three faculty members and two students from within the division, but exclusive of those associated with the student, department or program involved in the dispute. Members of this committee shall receive all submitted documents. In the Core Division, the committee should exclude faculty who are currently teaching the student, those who are currently partnering with the faculty member named in the grievance, and those who were teaching partners for the course in question
    4. The Academic Grievance Committee must set a date for convening a meeting to hear the case as expeditiously as possible within the timelines established by procedure
    5. Each party to the dispute must attend the hearing
    6. During the hearing, the student will make a presentation regarding his or her position, after which the second party will make a presentation regarding his or her position. Each side is permitted to bring one support person to the hearing with advance notice to the Dean
    7. At the conclusion of the hearing, members of the committee will reach a decision, by majority vote, as to how it believes the case should be resolved
    8. The committee’s decision will be sent to the Dean of the division in the form of a recommendation
    9. The Dean then informs the student in writing of the decision, which may be based upon the committee’s recommendation or upon the Dean’s modification of it. If the Dean recommends a grade change, the decision shall be sent to the Provost for implementation (as only the Provost has the authority to file an administrative grade change should a grievance involving a grade be accepted).
    10. The Dean’s decision can be appealed to the Provost by the student or the instructor, but only on the grounds of procedural violation. If an appeal is filed, the Provost may sustain or deny the appeal, may remand the matter for reconsideration by the Dean and/or rehearing by the Academic Grievance Committee, or may take other steps as the Provost deems appropriate.


  1. The formal appeals process must be initiated by submitting written notification to the Dean no later than the midpoint of the semester following the decision under dispute
  2. The Dean must convene the Academic Grievance Committee within ten academic working days of receipt of the grievance, or as soon as practicable thereafter given the availability of Committee members
  3. The Academic Grievance Committee must hold the hearing and communicate its recommendation to the Dean within 15 academic working days of receipt of the grievance, or as soon as practicable thereafter given the availability of Committee members
  4. The Dean must communicate the decision to the student within ten academic working days of receipt of the Academic Grievance Committee’s recommendation
  5. If the student or instructor wishes to appeal on procedural grounds to the Provost, notification must be made in writing within five academic working days of the Dean’s written notification of decision
  6. The grievance shall be resolved no later than the last day of final examinations in the semester following the decision under dispute

Academic Honors and Awards

Because of the compressed grading scale and higher academic standards that apply to students in master’s level programs, term-based honors and cum laude distinctions apply only to undergraduate students.

Academic Honesty


In addition to skills and knowledge, Champlain College aims to teach students appropriate ethical and professional standards of conduct. The Academic Honesty Policy exists to inform students and faculty of their obligations in upholding the highest standards of professional and ethical integrity. All student academic work is subject to the Academic Honesty Policy.

It is the student’s responsibility to understand and comply with College-wide policy as well as any assigned work-including examinations, tests, quizzes, term papers, reports, themes and other exercises-every student shall conform to a strict standard of academic honesty.

Any attempt to deceive a faculty member or to help another student to do so will be considered a violation of this standard.

Instructor’s Intended Purpose

The student’s work must match the instructor’s intended purpose for an assignment. While the instructor will establish the intent of an assignment, each student must clarify outstanding questions of that intent for a given assignment. It is the responsibility of the student to understand and follow the intent articulated by the instructor. For example:

  • If an assignment is intended to be strictly confined to work generated solely by the student, e.g. a research paper or individual presentation, then expropriation presented as the student’s own work is a violation of the Academic Honesty Policy.
  • The student is expected to follow accepted academic protocol, as defined by the instructor, in citation referencing.
  • If an assignment is intended for the student to carry out an original empirical study, then falsification or fabrication of data or presentation of data collected by someone else is a violation of the Academic Honesty Policy.
  • If an assignment is intended to involve the participation of multiple students, the student will be expected to follow the parameters established by the instructor regarding individual versus group contributions to any work products. It is the responsibility of each student in the group to understand and follow the intent articulated by the instructor. Work which strays from that intent or is done by another individual or individuals in the group and claimed as a particular student’s own work or contribution to group work is a violation of the Academic Honesty Policy.
  • If an assignment consists of building upon or mimicking a work, then the student will be expected to follow the parameters established by the instructor for that assignment. While it is expected that the student will clearly isolate the work he or she did from what already existed, this is up to the discretion of the instructor.
  • If an assignment consists of a pastiche of other copyrighted works, where the student exercises their fair-use rights, the instructor may allow the student to use expropriated and appropriated work for credit.
  • If an assignment is to participate in an online discussion, allowing someone else to log in to your account and to post to the discussion is a violation of the Academic Honesty Policy.

Unauthorized Assistance

The student may not give or get any unauthorized assistance in the preparation of any work. Group-work contexts often need extra clarification. For example, sharing work without explicit authorization to do so is a violation of the Academic Honesty Policy. Students in doubt about the instructor’s expectations should seek clarification, or assume that the work must be completed individually.


The student must clearly establish authorship of a work. Referenced work must be clearly documented, cited, and attributed, regardless of media or distribution. Adequate documentation must articulate the resources, and even sources of inspiration, directly employed in the creation of a work. Even in the case of work licensed as public domain or Copyright, (See: http://creativecommons.org/) both Faculty and the student must provide attribution of that work in order to uphold the standards of intent and authorship. Professional and Academic practice provides guidance about how to properly cite, reference, and attribute the intellectual property of others. For general examples, see Section 1.6.


Online submission of, or placing one’s name on, an exam, assignment, or any course document is a statement of academic honor that the student has not received or given inappropriate assistance in completing it and that the student has complied with the Academic Honesty Policy in that work.


In essence, the Academic Honesty Policy poses the following questions to all students:

  • Who authored the work?
  • Has the student given or accepted unauthorized assistance in the preparation of the work?
  • Has the student successfully isolated his or her own authorship in the work?
  • Has the student clearly documented his or her own authorship?
  • Has the student met the instructor’s intended purpose for the assignment?

On each assignment, students are expected to isolate their authorship. This means that the Faculty member can precisely identify the student’s work. Documentation should embrace direct references, indirect references and background resources as required by the instructor. The Academic Honesty Policy requires the student to declare and document authorship.


Any violation of the Academic Honesty Policy, as determined by the instructor, will result in sanctions. The instructor may impose a sanction on the student that varies depending upon the instructor’s evaluation of the nature and gravity of the offense.

Possible sanctions include but are not limited to, the following:

  1. Requiring the student to redo the assignment;
  2. Requiring the student to complete another assignment;
  3. Assigning a grade of zero to the assignment;
  4. Assigning a final grade of “F” for the course.

A student may appeal these decisions according to the Academic Grievance Procedure. This policy is not exclusive, and in addition to course-based penalties, students may be subject to additional sanctions under the College’s Conduct Review Process for conduct that violates both this policy and the standard described in section 2 of the College’s Standard of Conduct. The College may choose to use one, either or both processes to address such conduct, at its discretion.

Academic Probation and Academic Dismissal

  1. Students with a CGPA below 3.0 and who have attempted six (6) credits are subject to Academic Dismissal from their program.
  2. Students with a CGPA below 3.0 and subject to academic dismissal may be permitted to continue in their program on Academic Probation, based on one or more of the following: improved academic performance, recommendation of their Program Director, written appeal to the Associate Provost of Graduate Studies.

Academic Renewal

Under certain circumstances, unsatisfactory course grades may be coded so that they do not adversely impact the student’s cummulative grade point average (CGPA.) The following conditions apply to the Academic Renewal policy as a whole:

  1. Academic Renewal will be granted only once
  2. All courses and grades will appear on the student’s transcript with the addition of a code indicating Academic Renewal where appropriate
  3. Academic Renewal will not be used to alter a student’s record for financial aid qualifications, scholarships or other purposes not outlined below
  4. Only the Registrar’s Office staff, in consultation with division Deans, as appropriate, will make the change to the student’s record

Students who are returning to Champlain may be eligible to have course grades eliminated from their CGPA calculation using the following criteria:

  1. The student has not attended Champlain College during the past three years and has been readmitted to a degree program
  2. All courses in which a student earned less than a “C-” will no longer be used to calculate either the student’s overall CGPA or the credits earned toward graduation

Current students who have chosen to change majors may be eligible to have course grades eliminated from their CGPA calculation. The following conditions must apply:

  1. The student must request that Academic Renewal be applied at the time of the change of major. (Changing from an associate’s program to a bachelor’s program does not constitute a change of major.)
  2. The student must retain grades from any course in which they earned a “C-” or better
  3. The student must retain any course or specific elective type that is required in the new major (exclusive of technical and business focus electives)
  4. All courses not retained in the above points 2 and 3 will no longer be used in the calculation of the student’s overall CGPA or graduation credits
  5. The student must stay enrolled in the new major. If the student elects to change back to the original major, the Academic Renewal will be reversed


Students are expected to attend all their classes. Not doing so may jeopardize their academic success. If illness, accident or similar circumstances make it impossible for a student to attend classes, the student should notify the appropriate faculty member(s). Instructors provide each student with a written class-attendance policy approved by the appropriate division Dean at the beginning of the semester. A student’s lack of attendance does not result in an automatic withdrawal from a course. Students must officially withdraw using the Voluntary Course Withdrawal policy described below.

Audit Policy

Graduate courses may not be audited.

Available Courses

Graduate students enrolled in any Champlain College graduate program may enroll in any graduate course for which they are qualified and have met all necessary prerequisite course and/or experiential requirements for the selected course. Courses not required as part of a graduate student’s program will be available on a space-available basis.

Certificate Requirements

To be eligible for a graduate certificate, you must meet the following requirements:

  1. Satisfactorily complete all requirements for the certificate selected.
  2. Earn at least two-thirds of the certificate’s credits at Champlain College.
  3. Achieve an overall cummulative grade point average of at least 3.0 in courses completed at Champlain College.

Students who are enrolled in a graduate program and elect to complete a graduate certificate must formally add the certificate to their program of study through the Registrar’s Office. Because of the limited course offerings and course sequencing, students pursuing both a certificate program and a graduate degree program are not guaranteed to complete both on the same timeline.

Change of Program

Requests for change of program will be reviewed by the Program Directors of both programs. Final approval of change of program requests rests with the appropriate division Dean responsible for the new program, or that Dean’s designee.

Changes in Courses or Schedules

Students making changes that affect their full-time status should first check with the Financial Aid Office to determine the effect of such changes on aid eligibility.

To be considered full-time, a master’s level student must enroll in 6 credit hours within the fall/spring semester or 3 credit hours during the summer semester. For students in programs having two terms within a single semester, the required 6 credit hours may be taken in one or both of the shorter terms that fall within that semester. These requirements may be overridden by those of an individual program.

Classroom Behavior

Each instructor is responsible for maintaining an in-person and/or online classroom environment that facilitates effective teaching, learning and safety. The classroom environment should be such that it prepares students for behavior that is expected in the professional and corporate environments in which they are preparing to live and work.

Inappropriate classroom conduct which disrupts in-person or online classroom or laboratory activities is a violation of the Champlain College Standard of Conduct. Examples of disruptive conduct include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Tardiness, leaving and returning during class, or leaving class early without permission from the professor;
  • Any unauthorized use of electronic devices such as cellular phones, pagers and music devices in the classroom or laboratory;
  • Personal conversations during class;
  • Abusive language or epithets directed towards other persons;
  • Posting inappropriate online posts;
  • Refusing to comply with the directions of the instructor.

Disruptive and disrespectful behavior on the part of any student will not be tolerated. The instructor has the responsibility to determine appropriate standards of behavior in the class as long as the requirement does not infringe upon the individual’s rights. Science laboratory classrooms that may introduce a safety hazard to the student under certain circumstances may inherently require strict regulation of safety protocol in addition to normal rules of behavior.

An instructor may require that a student leave the classroom or laboratory – in- person or online space – if the student is disruptive and does not heed a verbal or written first warning. In an online class, an instructor may use their discretion to delete inappropriate posts. Return of the student to the classroom or laboratory may require a written pledge by the student to abide by the rules of expected classroom decorum or safety.

Continued inappropriate conduct or safety violations will be grounds for expulsion from the course in question for the remainder of the semester. Should a faculty member determine that a disruptive student should be dismissed from a class for the remainder of the semester with a failing grade, there shall be a written statement to the student, citing the student’s right of appeal under the standard grade change procedure or the Academic Grievance Policy and Procedure and with copies to the Registrar, the student’s Faculty Advisor, the student’s Dean and the Provost and Chief Academic Officer. Further action may also be taken by the Conduct Review Board under the College’s Conduct Review process.

Course Load and Credit Hours

To be considered full-time, a master’s level student must enroll in 6 credit hours within the fall/spring semester or 3 credit hours during the summer semester. For students in programs having two terms within a single semester, the required 6 credit hours may be taken in one or both of the shorter terms that fall within that semester. These requirements may be overridden by those of an individual program.

Course Waivers and Course Substitutions

Substitutions for required courses must be authorized by the Dean or the Dean’s designee of the student’s professional program. Students may consult with their Program Director if they are unsure who should approve a course waiver. In all cases of waiver or substitution, the Program Director will notify the Registrar’s Office at the time of the decision. The Registrar’s Office will then make the appropriate changes to the student’s record.

Course Withdrawal – Involuntary

In addition to the voluntary course withdrawals, there are instances in which a student may be involuntarily withdrawn by the instructor. These include, but are not limited to, violations of the College’s Standard of Conduct, disciplinary problems, or damaging the College’s relationships with internships or project sites. A grade of “W,” “WP” or “WF” is recorded, as determined by the date of the withdrawal and the student’s academic status at the time, or by the circumstances of the withdrawal.

Course Withdrawal – Voluntary

It is the student’s responsibility to officially withdraw from a course. Students enrolled through the traditional college wishing to withdraw from a course must complete a Course Withdrawal form. This form is available online or from the Registrar’s Office, the Student Life Office, the Office of Student Accounts, and academic division offices. The form must be signed by both the student and the faculty member. The withdrawal becomes effective the date the form is received by the Registrar’s Office. Failure to formally withdraw may result in failing grades, reduction in financial aid and academic dismissal from the College. Deadlines for withdrawing without academic penalty are strictly enforced. Please contact the Registrar’s Office for specific dates.

When students withdraw without academic penalty, a grade of “W: Withdrawn” will be recorded on the transcript. Students continue to have the opportunity to withdraw prior to the last day of exams. In such cases, students will receive either a “WF: Withdrawn Failing” or a “WP: Withdrawn Passing,” as determined by the student’s grade at the time of the withdrawal. A “WP” has no effect on the student’s GPA. The grade of “WF” is calculated as an “F,” however, and thus lowers the GPA. Therefore, the timing of when a student submits the required course withdrawal paperwork is vital. Please refer to the chart below for details. For additional information, contact the Registrar’s Office.

Course Withdrawal without Academic Penalty

15-week course withdraw by middle of 9th week
12-week course withdraw by end of 6th week
10-week course withdraw by end of 5th week
7-week course withdraw by middle of 4th week
5-week course withdraw by middle of 3rd week


Credit for Work Experience

Credit for work experience is not given in graduate programs. In special cases, where significant career advancement overshadows the competencies of a required course, a course waiver may be granted. Upon being granted such a waiver, the student is required to take a substitute course as approved by the appropriate Program Director and the division Dean, or the Dean’s designee.

Cross-Registration Agreements

All arrangements to take courses at any institutions with cross-registration agreements require permission of the Dean of a student’s professional program.

Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA)

A student’s CGPA is calculated by multiplying the credit hours for each course by the grade point per credit hour of that course as determined by the final grade. For example, a 3-credit-hour course in which a student receives a “B” (3.0 grade points per credit hour) will equal 9.0 grade points for that course. The cumulative grade point average will then equal the total grade points divided by the total number of credit hours. Grades earned in transferred courses are not used in CGPA calculations.

Curriculum Changes

The College reserves the right to adjust the curriculum and course content whenever such adjustments are academically appropriate and approved by the administration. The curriculum requirements in effect during the catalog year in which the student enters will remain in effect for that student unless the student wishes to pursue a more recent set of requirements.

Degree Requirements - Master’s

To be eligible for a master’s degree from Champlain College, students must meet the following requirements:

  1. Matriculate into a Champlain College major and satisfactorily complete all its specific requirements.
  2. Satisfactorily complete all residency requirements.
  3. For all graduate programs, other than MFA, meet program graduation requirements with no more than six (6) graduate-level credit hours earned outside of Champlain College. For the MFA, earn at least sixty (60) credit hours at the graduate level, fifty-one (51) of which must be earned at Champlain College.
  4. Have an overall grade point average of 3.0 in graduate-level courses completed at Champlain College.
  5. Apply for graduation by completing an “Application for Graduation” form. Application forms are available on the College website or in the Registrar’s Office.

Dual Graduate Programs

Graduate students intending to pursue two different programs must complete the first program before enrolling in the program requirements of the second program.

Combined Bachelors-Masters (CBM) Programs

Program Definition

Selected Champlain College graduate programs offer a Combined Bachelors- Masters Program (CBM) as described in Champlain College’s course catalog. This program option is designed for exceptional undergraduate students to begin earning up to twelve graduate level credits while completing their undergraduate degree at Champlain.

Student Status

Students who are accepted into a CBM Program must continue to be enrolled as undergraduate students until the completion of their Bachelor’s degree. Upon completion of the Bachelor’s degree, participating students are then formally matriculated into their chosen graduate program. All graduate courses taken as part of an approved CBM program will be transferred into the selected graduate program at that time.


  • The application form for a CBM Program should be completed no less than 4 months before the anticipated enrollment in the student’s first graduate course.
  • Students applying for admission into a CBM program should show exceptional academic performance in their undergraduate studies. Typically, students should have a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.3 and a GPA of at least 3.5 in their field of study.
  • All applicants will be personally interviewed (face-to-face or via synchronous technology) by both their undergraduate program advisor AND the director of the program to which they are applying.
  • Depending on the specific CBM Program, an application may require additional materials and/or documents such as: letter(s) of recommendation, portfolio of previous work, transcript(s) from previous college(s), a written statement of purpose or standardized graduate entrance examinations (GRE, GMAT, LSAT etc).
  • Applicants to all CBM programs will be notified of their acceptance within four weeks of their completed application.

Program Participation

  • Once accepted into a CBM Program students are responsible for following all program requirements and guidelines including any specific directions given by director of their CBM graduate program.
  • In order to maintain active status in a CBM Program, students must meet academic standards that include:
    1. A minimum term CGPA of 3.0 in all undergraduate courses which have been attempted.
    2. A minimum term CGPA of 3.0 in all graduate courses which have been attempted.

      Note: Specific CBM Program standards may vary and, when established, these standards take precedence over college standards above.
  • Should a student fail to meet the academic requirements of the CBM program, the graduate program director will determine whether that student will be withdrawn from the CBM Program or placed on academic probation for continued participation in the CBM Program. Probationary status would allow continuation in the program subject to specific academic performance conditions.

Course Credit

  • Graduate courses taken while a student is an undergraduate and which are taken as part of an approved CBM program may “double count” by using those courses to fulfill undergraduate course requirements and, upon graduation, transferring those graduate courses into the designated CBM graduate program.
  • Graduate courses attempted while a student is an undergraduate as part of an approved CBM program must receive a grade of “C” or better in order to transfer into the designated graduate program. Graduate courses taken as part of the CBM Program and receiving a grade of below “C” must be repeated.
  • Undergraduate courses, unless supplemented with specific activities that increase the academic rigor to graduate level, may not be used to waive graduate program requirements as part of a CBM/4+1 Program.
  • Unless (1) otherwise stated in program requirements of a specific CBM Program or (2) exercised with permission of a student’s undergraduate and CBM program advisors, a maximum of twelve credit hours may be used (“double counted”) for both undergraduate and graduate credit.
  • Students may complete courses beyond the twelve credit hours of graduate courses eligible for “double counting” but such credits may not be used for credit in both the undergraduate and graduate programs. Using such courses for graduate credit, once matriculated into the selected graduate program, is acceptable.
  • Students enrolled in any CBM program must follow their personal educational plan as outlined collaboratively by their CBM Program Director and undergraduate program advisor. Failure to follow the prescribed educational plan may result in dismissal from the CBM program.
  • Students may withdraw from their CBM Program at any time.
  • Students who withdraw or are dismissed from their CBM Program will not formally receive graduate credit for graduate courses taken as part of their undergraduate program requirements. While courses will be recognized internally by Champlain as having met graduate level requirements the transfer of those credits to any other institution is at the discretion of the receiving institution.

Graduate Program Matriculation

  • Upon completion of their undergraduate degree, students enrolled in a CBM Program must matriculate into their selected graduate program immediately. Upon matriculation into their graduate program, students will be given the full time-to-completion for their graduate program that is allowed traditionally accepted students.
  • Students who withdraw or are involuntarily withdrawn from a CBM Program for any reason and who later wish to enter the Graduate Program associated from the CBM Program in which they were enrolled must apply for admission into that Graduate Program.

Grade Changes

Student requests for grade changes must be submitted to the faculty no later than the last day of exams one semester after the semester in which the grade was earned. All grade changes must be approved by the Dean responsible for the course.

Grades – Term or Semester

At the end of each semester, faculty members submit to the registrar a final grade for each student.

Grade Range Achievement Standard Grade Points per Credit Hour
A (93+) Outstanding 4.00
A- (90-92) Outstanding 3.67
B+ (87-89) High quality 3.33
B (83-86) High quality 3.00
B- (80-82) High quality 2.67
C+ (77-79) Acceptable 2.33
C (73-76) Acceptable 2.00
F (Below 73) Failing 0.00
W Withdrawn before the end of the 4th week  Not computed
WF Withdrawn/failing after the end of the 4th week 0.0
WP Withdrawn/passing after the end of the 4th week Not computed
I   Incomplete Not computed

*Courses in which students earn less than a 2.0 will not be considered for completion of the master’s degree program.

Hooding and Commencement

Students who have completed all their degree requirements will receive their hoods and diplomas at the Hooding and Commencement ceremony. Master’s students are eligible to participate as non-graduating participants in the Hooding and Commencement ceremony if they meet the following conditions:

1.  Are within one course of meeting all requirements,

2.  Have a CGPA of 3.0 or higher

It should be noted that whereas both graduates and non-graduating participants are listed by name and hometown in the graduation program, non-graduating participants are ineligible to receive their diploma or have their name listed in local media until they have successfully completed their remaining academic requirements.

Diploma Name

Diplomas will be printed with the graduating student’s legal name or a derivative thereof. Honorifics, titles and previously earned degrees will not be permitted. On the graduation application, each student has the opportunity to write his/her name as he/she would like it to appear on the diploma. The College reserves the right to approve all diploma name requests.

Incomplete Work

At the discretion of the instructor, an interim grade of incomplete may be assigned for a course in which the student has met the following criteria:

  1. Been unable to complete course requirements before the end of the term because of illness or serious circumstance beyond the student’s control
  2. Completed a major portion of the course with a passing grade
  3. Obtained agreement from the instructor and arranged for resolution of the incomplete grade

The following procedures apply:

  1. The request must be made by, or on behalf of, the student before the last day of final exam week
  2. If an incomplete is granted, the faculty member will outline the remaining coursework and the timeline for completion, which cannot be later than the end of the eighth week after the last day of final exams in the semester in which the incomplete was given, except by permission of the Dean responsible for the course. 
  3. When the required work is complete, the earned grade will permanently replace the “I” grade on the transcript. If the work is not completed within the established time frame, a grade of “F” will appear on the student’s record
  4. The student is responsible for making sure that the faculty member receives all required coursework according to the established timeline

Independent Study

Independent study is defined as a course of study designed by a student to meet specific academic needs, taken outside regular classroom hours and supervised by one or more cooperating instructors. Regular college credit is given, and regular tuition is charged.

An independent study course may be undertaken under the following conditions:

  1. Elective credits only will be given, with the number of credits (not to exceed 3) determined by the appropriate division Dean.
  2. The student must propose the course to the supervising instructor at least five weeks prior to the beginning of the semester in which the work will be completed.
  3. The student and faculty member will jointly develop a formal proposal, which must include:
    1. Reason(s) for requesting independent study in lieu of existing elective course(s)
    2. Course title, suggested level (100, 200, etc.) and description
    3. Names of instructor(s) who have agreed to supervise
    4. Number of credits to be granted, including a description of how the credit hour policies will be met
    5. Goals to be pursued
    6. Method of measuring achievement of learning outcomes
    7. Grade calculation
  4. An instructor who has been asked to supervise such a study project must submit the project for approval to the division Dean and the Provost’s Office not later than three weeks prior to the beginning of the semester. At least five days prior to the beginning of the semester, the division Dean must notify the instructor, the student, the Provost and the Registrar’s Office, in writing, of his or her approval or reasons for rejection. A student who fails to complete an independent study course within a semester may be granted a period of time in which to finish comparable to that extended to those taking traditional courses.

Leave of Absence

With the approval of both the Program Director and the Dean, a student may withdraw from the program for up to one year and then re-enroll without needing to re-apply to the College. In such circumstances, the student’s academic requirements are those required for the original catalog year under which the student began his or her studies.

Military Credit

Champlain College grants credit for military education following the guidelines issued by the American Council on Education.

Name Change

In order to change your name in our Student Information System, you must present legal documentation of the name change in the form of a court document, driver’s license, Social Security card, or other acceptable legal document to our Enrollment Service Center.

Non-matriculated Students

Graduate courses are available on a space available basis to non-matriculated students who meet:

  1. All admission requirements for the graduate program responsible for the selected courses, and
  2. All necessary prerequisite course and/or experiential requirements for the selected course.

Undergraduate students may enroll in a graduate course upon approval of both their academic advisor and the Program Director of the graduate program responsible for the selected course. An undergraduate student’s tuition rate for all graduate courses taken while they are enrolled as an undergraduate student will be based on the current tuition rate of the undergraduate program in which they are enrolled.

Program Completion

Students must complete all program requirements within six years of beginning classes.

Reenrollment and Readmission to Champlain College

Students who have missed more than one calendar year are required to submit a formal application for readmission.

Retaking Courses

A student can re-take no more than two courses throughout the program, and can re-take any given course only once. If a student fails three courses, that student is subject to dismissal. Any final grade below a “C” is unacceptable and the course must be re-taken. If a student re-takes a course, the higher grade becomes part of the CGPA. Both grades appear on the student’s academic transcript.


A transcript is an official copy of a student’s permanent record with the College and cannot be changed. Transcripts are issued by the Registrar’s Office only at the written request of the student or alumnus. Written requests can be made in person, via fax or via postal mail. Requests will be honored as quickly as possible in the order of application. However, during especially busy periods (Commencement, registration, etc.) there will be delays in processing, so transcripts should be requested well in advance. Five copies of a student’s transcript will be provided free of charge. A fee of $5 will be charged for each subsequent copy.

Official transripts (those with the College seal) are sent only to a college or university, a state or federal agency, or an employer. Only under special circumstances will an official transcript be sent directly to the student. Unofficial transcripts for a student’s personal use do not bear the official seal of Champlain College and may be sent directly to students. Note: transcripts will be sent only when a student’s account is paid in full.

Transfer/Advanced Standing

All transfer applicants are required to submit official transcripts of their high school and college records.

A student who transfers from another college may be given up to six graduate-level credit hours for a major provided that similar required or elective courses are offered at Champlain College. The decision of the Admission Office in this regard will be based on criteria provided by the appropriate Program Director at Champlain College.

Credit hours for transferred courses are given full value, but grades are not transferred to a student’s Champlain College permanent record and do not become part of a student’s cumulative grade point average (CGPA) at Champlain College.

Transfer to Other Institutions

Credit for courses taken at Champlain College is generally transferable to other institutions of higher education. However, because the decision of whether to grant credit for any particular course is made by the receiving institution and not by Champlain College, students should consult with officials at the receiving institution concerning the transferability of credits earned at Champlain College.

Tuition Rate

A graduate student’s tuition rate for all graduate courses taken will be based on the current tuition rate of the graduate program in which they are enrolled.

Withdrawal from College

Any student withdrawing from the College begins that process by obtaining a College Withdrawal Form from the Student Life Office, the Registrar’s Office, the Office of Student Accounts, or the academic division offices. The counseling staff is available to provide support to students who need to leave the College due to medical or mental health issues. As part of the withdrawal process, the student will receive a statement setting forth the financial implications of his or her withdrawal. The withdrawal date recorded on the student’s official College record will be determined by the registrar when the withdrawal form is completed. It is the student’s responsibility to officially withdraw from the College. A student who withdraws from the College without following this procedure jeopardizes his or her opportunity to receive any refund.

The College reserves the right to withdraw any student for academic, safety or disciplinary reasons. Any student who stops attending all his or her classes may be withdrawn from the College with or without the student’s consent. If a student wishes to contest the College’s initiation of an involuntary withdrawal that is for more than a temporary period, the College will provide a hearing and appeal opportunity to the student under the procedures specified in the College’s Conduct Review process. The student should inform the administrative office initiating the withdrawal of his or her intent to contest such initiation within 5 working days of the student’s receiving notice. The College will consider waiver of this deadline in cases where the student was incapacitated; requests for waiver should be submitted to the same administrative office.