Feb 28, 2024  
2017-2018 Undergraduate College Catalog 
2017-2018 Undergraduate College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Information and Policies

Academic Grievance Policy & Procedure

Student academic problems are to be handled initially between the student and the faculty member teaching the course involved. Students with academic grievances may use the Academic Grievance Policy and Procedure below.

Scope and Purpose

The purpose of this policy and procedure is to provide Champlain College students the opportunity for additional review of the facts pertaining to an academic decision affecting them. Procedures are designed to provide objective and fair treatment (as provided specifically in the procedures) of both students and faculty and to resolve disputes in a timely manner.

An academic grievance is a claim that a specific academic decision or action that affects the student’s academic record or status has violated published policies or procedures. The assignment of grades is not generally considered a justifiable grievance under this policy unless published policies or procedures have been violated. Only the Provost (chief academic officer) has the right to file an administrative grade change should a grievance involving a grade be accepted.


  • Informal Resolution
  1. A student who believes that he or she has been aggrieved must first attempt to seek an informal resolution with the other party involved in the dispute.
  2. Disputes that are not resolved directly between the parties involved may be brought to the appropriate Dean’s office responsible for the course.   The Dean/designee will seek to reach an informal resolution between the parties.
  3. If the matter is not resolved, then the student may choose to initiate the formal resolution process within the timelines established by this procedure.
  • Formal Resolution
  1. Student academic grievances must be specified in writing to the Dean/designee, along with supporting evidence that clearly identifies the cause of the grievance in relation to the definition of academic grievance included in this policy.
  2. The second party to the dispute must also provide the Dean/designee with a written account of the matter in dispute.
  3. The Dean/designee will reach a resolution by either holding an individual hearing or establishing an academic grievance committee where both parties participate, together or separately, to investigate the claims and counterclaims. Both parties shall receive all submitted documents. The administrator who facilitated the informal resolution process will not hear the case or be on a committee in the formal resolution process.
  4. In instances when an academic grievance committee is convened, it will be composed of three faculty members and two students typically but not necessarily from within the division, but exclusive of those associated with the student, instructor, or program involved in the dispute.The academic grievance committee will make a recommendation to the dean.
  5. Each party will make a presentation regarding his or her position. Each side is permitted to bring one support person (non-participating) to the hearing with advance notice to the Dean.
  6. The Dean/designee will inform the student in writing of the decision. If the Dean recommends a grade change, the decision shall be sent to the Provost for approval and implementation.
  7. The Dean’s decision may be appealed to the Provost by the student or the instructor, but only on the grounds of procedural violation. If an appeal is filed, the Provost or their designee may sustain or deny the appeal, may remand the matter for reconsideration by the Dean and/or rehearing by a third party, or may take other steps as the Provost deems appropriate.


  1. The formal academic grievance process must be initiated by submitting written notification to the Dean no later than thirty (30) academic/business days after the student is notified of the action under dispute.
  2. The Dean must convene a formal hearing within ten academic/business days of receipt of the grievance, or as soon as practicable.
  3. The Dean must communicate the decision to the student within ten academic/business days after the meetings have occurred.
  4. If the student or instructor wishes to appeal on procedural grounds to the Provost, notification must be made in writing within five academic/business days of the Dean’s written notification of decision.
  5. The grievance shall be resolved no later than the last day of final examinations in the following semester.

Academic Honors and Awards

Trustee Scholar: A designation awarded to students who attend Champlain College full-time and maintain a 4.0 average for two consecutive semesters.

President’s List: A designation awarded to students who attend Champlain College full-time and achieve a semester average of 4.0.

Dean’s List: A designation awarded to students who attend Champlain College full-time and achieve a semester average of 3.50 or better.

Graduation Honors: Cum laude distinctions are given to graduating undergraduate students with the following cumulative grade point averages:

Summa Cum Laude: 3.80 average
Magna Cum Laude: 3.65 average
Cum Laude: 3.50 average

Divisions may award additional honors recognizing academic, service and career development achievements. Conduct records may be accessed in the determination of these awards.

Academic Honesty


In addition to skills and knowledge, Champlain College aims to teach students appropriate ethical and professional standards of conduct. The Academic Honesty Policy exists to inform students and faculty of their obligations in upholding the highest standards of professional and ethical integrity. All student academic work is subject to the Academic Honesty Policy.

It is the student’s responsibility to understand and comply with College-wide policy as well as any assigned work-including examinations, tests, quizzes, term papers, reports, themes and other exercises-every student shall conform to a strict standard of academic honesty.

Any attempt to deceive a faculty member or to help another student to do so will be considered a violation of this standard.

Instructor’s Intended Purpose

The student’s work must match the instructor’s intended purpose for an assignment. While the instructor will establish the intent of an assignment, each student must clarify outstanding questions of that intent for a given assignment. It is the responsibility of the student to understand and follow the intent articulated by the instructor. For example:

  • If an assignment is intended to be strictly confined to work generated solely by the student, e.g. a research paper or individual presentation, then expropriation presented as the student’s own work is a violation of the Academic Honesty Policy.
  • The student is expected to follow accepted academic protocol, as defined by the instructor, in citation referencing.
  • If an assignment is intended for the student to carry out an original empirical study, then falsification or fabrication of data or presentation of data collected by someone else is a violation of the Academic Honesty Policy.
  • If an assignment is intended to involve the participation of multiple students, the student will be expected to follow the parameters established by the instructor regarding individual versus group contributions to any work products. It is the responsibility of each student in the group to understand and follow the intent articulated by the instructor. Work which strays from that intent or is done by another individual or individuals in the group and claimed as a particular student’s own work or contribution to group work is a violation of the Academic Honesty Policy.
  • If an assignment consists of building upon or mimicking a work, then the student will be expected to follow the parameters established by the instructor for that assignment. While it is expected that the student will clearly isolate the work he or she did from what already existed, this is up to the discretion of the instructor.
  • If an assignment consists of a pastiche of other copyrighted works, where the student exercises their fair-use rights, the instructor may allow the student to use expropriated and appropriated work for credit.
  • If an assignment is to participate in an online discussion, allowing someone else to log in to your account and to post to the discussion is a violation of the Academic Honesty Policy.
  • Students may not submit a paper or assignment written for one course in another course without permission of the instructor.Work that is reused without consent of the instructor will be considered a violation of the Academic Honesty Policy, even if that work was authored by the student.

Unauthorized Assistance

The student may not give or get any unauthorized assistance in the preparation of any work. Group-work contexts often need extra clarification. For example, sharing work without explicit authorization to do so is a violation of the Academic Honesty Policy. Students in doubt about the instructor’s expectations should seek clarification, or assume that the work must be completed individually.


The student must clearly establish authorship of a work. Referenced work must be clearly documented, cited, and attributed, regardless of media or distribution. Adequate documentation must articulate the resources, and even sources of inspiration, directly employed in the creation of a work. Even in the case of work licensed as public domain or Copyright, (See: http://creativecommons.org/) both Faculty and the student must provide attribution of that work in order to uphold the standards of intent and authorship. Professional and Academic practice provides guidance about how to properly cite, reference, and attribute the intellectual property of others. For general examples, see Section 1.6.


Online submission of, or placing one’s name on, an exam, assignment, or any course document is a statement of academic honor that the student has not received or given inappropriate assistance in completing it and that the student has complied with the Academic Honesty Policy in that work.


In essence, the Academic Honesty Policy poses the following questions to all students:

  • Who authored the work?
  • Has the student given or accepted unauthorized assistance in the preparation of the work?
  • Has the student successfully isolated his or her own authorship in the work?
  • Has the student clearly documented his or her own authorship?
  • Has the student met the instructor’s intended purpose for the assignment?
  • Has the student written an original work that has not previously been submitted in another course at Champlain College or any other institution?

On each assignment, students are expected to isolate their authorship. This means that the Faculty member can precisely identify the student’s work. Documentation should embrace direct references, indirect references and background resources as required by the instructor. The Academic Honesty Policy requires the student to declare and document authorship.


Any violation of the Academic Honesty Policy, as determined by the instructor, may result in sanctions. The instructor may impose a sanction on the student that varies depending upon the instructor’s evaluation of the nature and gravity of the offense.

Possible sanctions from the instructor include but are not limited to, the following:

  1. Requiring the student to redo the assignment;
  2. Requiring the student to complete another assignment;
  3. Assigning a grade of zero to the assignment;
  4. Assigning a final grade of “F” for the course.

A student may appeal these decisions according to the Academic Grievance Procedure . This policy is not exclusive, and in addition to course-based penalties, students may be subject to additional sanctions at the college level, particularly sanctions required by the Dean. Those students who are repeat offenders, sanctions required as a result of the College’s Conduct Review Process for conduct that violates both this policy and the standard described in section 2 of the College’s Standard of Conduct. The College may choose to use one, either or both processes to address such conduct, at its discretion.The resulting sanctions could include, but not limited to, additional course work,  suspension or dismissal from the College.

Academic Probation and Academic Dismissal

The College will place on probation any matriculated student who, after attempting 12 or more credits, fails to achieve either a cumulative GPA (CGPA) of 2.0 or a term GPA of 2.0. The College may dismiss any matriculated student who fails to achieve a CGPA of 1.80 after attempting 12 credits or who fails to achieve a CGPA of 2.0 after attempting 30 credits.

A student who is eligible for dismissal will receive a dismissal letter from his or her program Dean. Students are permitted to appeal the dismissal in writing within the time limit stated in the letter.

Academically dismissed students wishing to take courses as non-degree students may do so only with permission of their Program Dean.

Academic Renewal

Under certain circumstances, unsatisfactory course grades may be coded so that they do not adversely impact the student’s CGPA . The following conditions apply to the Academic Renewal policy as a whole:

  1. Academic Renewal will be granted only once
  2. All courses and grades will appear on the student’s transcript with the addition of a code indicating Academic Renewal where appropriate
  3. Academic Renewal will not be used to alter a student’s record for financial aid qualifications, scholarships or other purposes not outlined below
  4. Only the Registrar’s Office staff, in consultation with division Deans, as appropriate, will make the change to the student’s record

Students who are returning to Champlain may be eligible to have course grades eliminated from their CGPA calculation using the following criteria:

  1. The student has not attended Champlain College during the past three years and has been readmitted to a degree program
  2. All courses in which a student earned less than a “C-” will no longer be used to calculate either the student’s overall CGPA or the credits earned toward graduation

Current students who have chosen to change majors may be eligible to have course grades eliminated from their CGPA calculation. The following conditions must apply:

  1. The student must request that Academic Renewal be applied at the time of the change of major. (Changing from an associate’s program to a bachelor’s program does not constitute a change of major.)
  2. The student must retain grades from any course in which they earned a “C-” or better
  3. The student must retain any course or specific elective type that is required in the new major (exclusive of technical and business focus electives)
  4. All courses not retained in the above points 2 and 3 will no longer be used in the calculation of the student’s overall CGPA or graduation credits
  5. The student must stay enrolled in the new major. If the student elects to change back to the original major, the Academic Renewal will be reversed


Students are expected to attend all their classes. Not doing so may jeopardize their academic success. If illness, accident or similar circumstances make it impossible for a student to attend classes, the student should notify the appropriate faculty member(s). Instructors provide a written class-attendance policy that states the consequences for absences. A student’s lack of attendance does not result in an automatic withdrawal from a course and a grade for the course will be assigned. Students must officially withdraw by the deadline using the Voluntary Course Withdrawal policy described below.

Audit Policy

Champlain College permits the auditing of courses, at a reduced rate, for individuals who wish to participate in courses simply for their own enrichment. Students auditing a course may attend all class sessions and participate in class discussions.

Academic work will be neither reviewed nor graded by the faculty. No credit will be issued for any course taken as an audit. Graduate courses, Core courses, and other courses designated by academic divisions may not be taken as audits.

Audits will be permitted only on a space-available basis. Audit registration begins one week prior to the start of the course. A student may change a course from audit to credit or credit to audit only during the first 10 days of the semester. Once courses have begun, no refunds are issued for credit-to-audit changes. Additional charges will be applied for changes from audit to credit.

Change of Major

Requests for change of major should start with the student’s current faculty advisor. Final approval of change of major requests rests with the division Dean responsible for the new program or that Dean’s designee.

Changes in Courses or Schedules (Add/Drop Period)

A student may add or drop courses, or change from one section to another of the same course during the first five days of each semester. After that time period, students may change sections or add a new course only with the permission of the course instructor and appropriate Dean, or designee, after reviewing the student’s likelihood of success.

Classroom Behavior

Each instructor is responsible for maintaining an in-person and/or online classroom environment that facilitates effective teaching, learning and safety. The classroom environment should be such that it prepares students for behavior that is expected in the professional and corporate environments in which they are preparing to live and work. The College includes electronic communication in its definition of the classroom environment to include email, video conference and telephone meetings, and activities in Canvas related to each course.

Inappropriate classroom conduct which disrupts in-person or online classroom or laboratory activities is a violation of the Champlain College Standard of Conduct. Examples of disruptive conduct include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Tardiness, leaving and returning during class, or leaving class early without permission from the professor;
  • Any unauthorized use of electronic devices such as cellular phones, pagers and music devices in the classroom or laboratory;
  • Personal conversations during class;
  • Abusive language or epithets directed towards other persons;
  • Posting inappropriate online posts;
  • Refusing to comply with the directions of the instructor.

Disruptive and disrespectful behavior on the part of any student will not be tolerated. The instructor has the responsibility to determine appropriate standards of behavior in the class as long as the requirement does not infringe upon the individual’s rights. Science laboratory classrooms that may introduce a safety hazard to the student under certain circumstances may inherently require strict regulation of safety protocol in addition to normal rules of behavior.

An instructor may require that a student leave the classroom or laboratory - in- person or online space - if the student is disruptive and does not heed a verbal or written first warning. In the online environment, an instructor may use their discretion to delete inappropriate posts. Return of the student to the classroom or laboratory may require a written pledge by the student to abide by the rules of expected classroom decorum or safety.

Continued inappropriate conduct or safety violations will be grounds for dismissal from the course in question for the remainder of the semester. Should a faculty member determine that a disruptive student should be dismissed from a class for the remainder of the semester with a failing grade, there shall be a written statement to the student, citing the student’s right of appeal under the Academic Grievance Procedure . Further action may also be taken by the Office of Student Conduct under the College’s Conduct Review process.

Commencement Ceremony - May Participation

Bachelor’s and associate’s degree candidates who have completed all of their degree requirements will receive their diplomas and have any appropriate academic honors announced at the Commencement ceremony. Bachelor’s degree students within 8 credits of meeting all requirements and associate’s degree students within 4 credits of meeting all requirements are eligible to take part in the ceremony as non-graduating participants. All participating undergraduates must also have an overall cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher. Students who wish to participate in the commencement ceremony as non-graduating participants must have a plan to complete the degree within two semesters. This plan must be filed with the Registrar’s Office.

It should be noted that whereas both graduates and non-graduating participants are listed by name and hometown in the graduation program, non-graduating participants are ineligible to receive their diploma, to have academic honors designated in the program, to have academic honors announced during the event, or to have their name listed in local media until they have successfully completed their remaining academic requirements.

Diploma Name

Diplomas will be printed with the graduating student’s legal name or a derivative thereof. Honorifics, titles and previously earned degrees will not be permitted. On the graduation application, each student has the opportunity to write his/her name as he/she would like it to appear on the diploma. The College reserves the right to approve all diploma name requests.

Core Curriculum

The Core curriculum is an intentionally integrative general education curriculum, and traditional undergraduate students are required to take a pair of courses each semester. A student who wishes to withdraw from one of the two Core courses during that time when a student may withdraw without penalty will be required to sign a statement indicating that s/he is aware that, in order to remain on track in the Core, s/he will have to make up the Core course(s) during the summer at his/her own expense. Non-attendance is not a valid reason to request withdrawal from one of the required Core courses.

  1. In a given semester, a student must take both Core courses appropriate to that semester (e.g., COR 110  and COR 115  are co-requisite courses for first- year, first-semester students)
  2. All Core curriculum courses in a given year must be completed with a passing grade before a student may enroll in any of the Core courses in any of the subsequent years. COR 110 , COR 115 , COR 120  and COR 125  are prerequisites for any second-year Core course; four 200-level Core courses are prerequisites for any third-year Core course; and all the third-year Core courses are prerequisites for the fourth-year college capstone course unless an exception is granted by the Dean of the Core Division. (Most often, exceptions are granted in the case of illness or an unusual study abroad situation.)
  3. In the first year, a student must pass COR 110  before taking COR 120  and must pass COR 115  before taking COR 125 .
  4. Makeup courses at the 200 level will be available only in the summer session. All traditional students must take (or receive approved transfer credit) for two Fall 200-level Core courses and two Spring 200-level Core courses. Students who fail a 200-level Core course must successfully complete an appropriate 200-level Core course during the appropriate Champlain summer session before going on to the third-year Core courses. The course does NOT have to be the identical course as the course the student failed, but it must be from the same semester. Each summer, the Core Division will offer two Fall semester 200-level Core courses in the first summer session and two Spring semester 200-level Core courses in the second summer session.
  5. In the third year, course pairs (COR 310 /COR 320  and the two COR 330  courses) may be taken in either semester to accommodate study abroad demands
  6. All students matriculated in undergraduate degree programs must be enrolled in the Core courses sequenced for their catalog year each term that they are at Champlain College. Students who intend to transfer are not exempted from this requirement, but are encouraged to consult with the Dean of the Core Division to discuss how to maximize transfer credits awarded by the receiving institution.

Course Load and Credit Hours

To be considered full-time, a student must enroll in courses totaling at least 12 credit hours per 15-week semester. Students making changes that affect their full-time status should first check with the Financial Aid Office to determine the effect of such changes on aid eligibility.

Normally, one unit of credit is based on 15 hours of classroom instruction and 30 hours of homework per semester. To be considered full-time, a student must enroll in courses totaling at least 12 credit hours per 15-week semester.

Approval will be required for students who wish to take more than 18 credits during the fall or spring semester. If the number of credits desired is 18-20, and the cumulative grade point average (CGPA) is at least 3.0, students should consult with the Registrar’s Office to request permission. Students with a CGPA of less than 3.0, or with a desired number of credits greater than 20, must obtain the written permission of the Dean of their professional program.

Approval will be required for students who wish to take more than two courses or 7 credits (whichever is greater) in a single summer session. Students who have a CGPA of 3.0 or higher should consult with the Registrar’s Office to request approval. Students who have a CGPA of less than 3.0 or who want to take more than 9 credits in a single session must obtain the written permission of the Dean of their professional program.

Course Waivers and Course Substitutions

Substitutions for required courses must be authorized by the Dean (or designee) responsible for the course in question. Students may consult with the Registrar’s Office if they are unsure who should approve a course waiver. In all cases of waiver or substitution, the appropriate divisional representative will notify the Registrar’s Office at the time of the decision. The Registrar’s Office will then make the appropriate changes to the student’s record.

Champlain College offers examinations in Calculus that can result in waiver of a course requirement for MTH 230 (Calculus I.) When a course is waived, the course requirement is considered met, but credits are not awarded. Additional information can be obtained from academic specialists or faculty advisors.

Course Withdrawal - Involuntary

In addition to the voluntary course withdrawals, there are instances in which a student may be involuntarily withdrawn by the instructor. These include, but are not limited to, violations of the College’s Standard of Conduct, disciplinary problems, or damaging the College’s relationships with internships or project sites. A grade of “W” is recorded. Course withdrawals are not permitted after the end of the term.

Course Withdrawal - Voluntary

It is the student’s responsibility to officially withdraw from a course. Students enrolled through the traditional college wishing to withdraw from a course must complete a Course Withdrawal form. This form is available online or from the Registrar’s Office, the Student Life Office, the Office of Student Accounts, and academic division offices. The form must be signed by both the student and the faculty member. The withdrawal becomes effective the date the form is received by the Registrar’s Office. Failure to formally withdraw may result in failing grades, reduction in financial aid and academic dismissal from the College. Deadlines for withdrawing without academic penalty are strictly enforced. Withdrawals after the end of the term are not permitted. Please contact the Registrar’s Office for specific dates.

Students may withdraw from a full semester (15-week) course through the 11th week of the semester and receive a grade of “W,” which is not calculated in the GPA. After the 11th week, individual course withdrawal is not permitted. If students withdraw from the College after the 11th week of the term, they will be withdrawn from all courses with “W” grades, which are not calculated in the GPA.

Course Withdrawal without Academic Penalty

15-week course withdraw by end of 11th week
12-week course withdraw by end of 9th week
10-week course withdraw by end of 7th week
7-week course withdraw by middle of 5th week
5-week course withdraw by middle of 4th week


Cross-Registration Agreements

All arrangements to take courses at any institutions with cross-registration agreements require permission of the Dean of a student’s professional program.

Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA)

A student’s CGPA is calculated by multiplying the credit hours for each course by the grade point per credit hour of that course as determined by the final grade. For example, a 3-credit-hour course in which a student receives a “B” (3.0 grade points per credit hour) will equal 9.0 grade points for that course. The cumulative grade point average will then equal the total grade points divided by the total number of credit hours. Grades earned in transferred courses are not used in CGPA calculations.

Curriculum Changes

The College reserves the right to adjust the curriculum and course content whenever such adjustments are academically appropriate and approved by the administration. The curriculum requirements in effect during the catalog year in which the student enters will remain in effect for that student unless the changes have no material effect on the student’s graduation date, or the student wishes to pursue a more recent set of requirements.

Degree Requirements - Associate’s of Science in Radiography

To be eligible for the associate’s degree, you must be a student in the College’s Radiography program and meet the following requirements:

  1. Earn at least 60 credit hours, 30 of which must be earned at Champlain College
  2. Achieve an overall cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 in courses completed at Champlain College
  3. Apply for graduation by completing an application for graduation form by November 1 for May graduates, June 1 for August graduates or August 1 for December graduates. Applications are available on the College Web site, in the Registrar’s Office or in the Student Life Office.

Degree Requirements - Bachelor’s

To be eligible for a bachelor’s degree from Champlain College, a traditional undergraduate student must meet the following requirements:

  1. Matriculate into a Champlain College traditional baccalaureate major and satisfactorily complete all its specific requirements
  2. Earn at least 120 credit hours, 45 of which must be earned at Champlain College. In addition, of the last 60 credits required for the bachelor’s degree, 30 must be earned at Champlain College. Individual programs may require specific courses to be completed here as described in the Transfer/Advanced Standing section that follows
  3. Achieve an overall cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of at least 2.0 in courses completed at Champlain College
  4. Satisfactorily complete all LEAD requirements
  5. Apply for graduation by submitting an application for graduation form by November 1 for May graduates, June 1 for August graduates and October 1 for December graduates. Application forms are available on the College Web site, in the Registrar’s Office or in the Student Life Office.

Double Majors

Pursuing a double major requires careful planning and sequencing of courses; the effort will very likely require more than four years to complete. Students who wish to pursue a double major must first consult with the Dean of their professional program’s division to obtain approval. They must fulfill all the requirements of both programs, and there must be a difference of at least 24 credits between the two programs. Upon completion, one bachelor’s degree will be granted, and the transcript will list one degree and both majors.

Students wishing to complete two majors leading to two different bachelor’s degree types (e.g. BA, BS, BSW, BFA, BSBA) must obtain approval from the Dean or Deans affiliated with each degree. Students must fulfill all the requirements of both programs and the two programs must have at least 24 credits difference between them. Upon completion, two bachelor’s degrees will be granted and the transcript will list both degrees and majors.

Undergraduate taking Graduate Courses

Approved students may take up to 12 credits at the graduate level (exceptions by permission of the dean) toward completion of their undergraduate degree that may also be applied toward completion of a graduate program.  Students who wish to pursue enrollment in a graduate program must apply for admission no sooner than the final semester of their undergraduate degree program.  

Students must submit their request to participate to their advisor.  With the support of the advisor, the request will be forwarded to the Program Director of the graduate program who, in conjunction with the Program Director of the student’s undergraduate program, will determine preparedness for graduate level coursework and eligible courses for approved students.

Students in graduate level classes are expected to adhere to the Academic Information and Policies as outlined in the Graduate College Catalog as they pertain to those courses.  

Specializations and Minors


A minor broadens or deepens a student’s education and may expand their professional opportunities within or beyond their primary career focus. The following criteria apply to minors:

  • Available to any student at the College
  • Comprised of 15-18 credit hours (5-6 courses)
  • Consists of a minimum of 3 courses distinct from major program requirements and specializations

The following circumstances also apply:

  • Some programs require that students select a minor.
  • The optional selection of a minor may extend the time needed to fulfill all course requirements.
  • Consultation with a faculty advisor and Academic Specialist, and permission of the division Dean or designee, are required before a student can declare more than two minors.
  • Minors with 21 credits approved prior to January 1, 2017 will be grandfathered into this new format, with the expectation that the minor will be modified by January 1, 2018


A specialization allows students to gain additional focus in a specific aspect of their major  area of study. The following criteria apply to specializations:

  • Associated with a particular major only, either as required or optional
  • Comprised of a minimum of 12 credit hours (4 courses)

The following circumstances also apply:

  • General elective credits are used toward completing an optional specialization.

No restrictions on counting courses toward both the specialization and the major as long as the student graduates with 120 unique credits in the case of an optional specialization.

Extended Campus Closure

Class During an Extended Campus Closure:

Champlain College takes precautionary measures to ensure that your classes can continue in a “virtual environment” even during an extended emergency such as severe weather, contagious disease, physical infrastructure failure, campus closure, or similar incident. Classes will continue, either online through Canvas, a College-provided learning management system, or through some other process.

In the event of such an emergency, students are expected to continue instructor-designated class activities, as directed by the instructor. Due to the nature of the “virtual environment,” learning activities may differ slightly from those in the on-campus version of your courses. In order for this emergency preparedness plan to be effective, students are asked to do the following:


  • Ensure that you will have a computer and broadband Internet access at the location (home or other) in which you will reside during an extended campus closure.
  • Prepare yourself with the basic skills of logging into Canvas, finding your courses and entering them.
  • Participate in a “warm up” online activity in the “virtual environment” when directed to do so by your instructor.

During an Emergency

  • Test your broadband Internet access immediately upon arriving at your chosen residence during the campus closure.
  • Log into Canvas and enter your courses.
  • Check for emergency information on Champlain College’s main website (www.Champlain.edu), which will indicate the semester week and day when Champlain classes will resume online.
  • Enter each of your classes and go to the appropriate week of the class where you will receive directions from your instructor.

Grade Changes

Student requests for grade changes must be submitted to the faculty no later than the last day of exams one semester after the semester in which the grade was earned. Students wishing to appeal an instructor’s denial of the grade change should follow the Academic Grievance Process, located in this catalog. All faculty requests for grade changes must be approved by the Dean responsible for the course.

Grades – Midsemester

In conjunction with frequent evaluations, mid-semester grades help students understand their level of progress. Faculty members submit mid-semester grades for each student to the Registrar’s Office for all 15-week courses. These grades are internal and do not appear on student transcripts.

Grade Achievement Grade Equivalent Standard
S (satisfactory) C- or better A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-
U (unsatisfactory) Passing but D+, D, D-  
F (failing) Not passing F  

Grades - Semester

At the end of each semester, faculty members submit to the registrar a final grade for each student. Some majors have minimum grade requirements for specific courses which are higher than the lowest acceptable grade in the scheme below. See individual academic programs for information.

Grade Range Achievement Grade Points
    Standard per Credit Hour
A (93+) Outstanding 4.00
A- (90-92) Outstanding 3.67
B+ (87-89) High quality 3.33
B (83-86) High quality 3.00
B- (80-82) High quality 2.67
C+ (77-79) Acceptable 2.33
C (73-76) Acceptable 2.00
C- (70-72) Acceptable 1.67
D+ (67-69) Passing* 1.33
D (63-66) Passing* 1.00
D- (60-62) Passing* 0.67
F (Below 60) Failing 0.00
P   Pass Not computed
NP   No Pass 0.00
W Withdrawn before the 11th week of a traditional-length course Not computed
I Incomplete Not computed
AU Audit No grade or credit earned

Incomplete Work

With permission of the instructor and the Dean responsible for the course in question, an interim grade of incomplete may be assigned for a course in which the student has met the following criteria:

  1. Been unable to complete course requirements before the end of the term because of documented illness or serious circumstance beyond the student’s control
  2. Completed a major portion of the course with a passing grade
  3. Obtained agreement from the instructor and arranged for resolution of the incomplete grade

The following procedures apply:

  1. The request must be made by, or on behalf of, the student before the last day of final exam week
  2. If an incomplete is granted by the Dean, the faculty member will outline the remaining coursework and the timeline for completion, which cannot be later than the end of the eighth week after the last day of final exams in the semester in which the incomplete was given, except by permission of the Dean responsible for the course. 
  3. Incompletes granted as a result of academic accommodations must be verified by the Counseling and Accommodation Services office.
  4. When the required work is complete, the earned grade will permanently replace the “I” grade on the transcript. If the work is not completed within the established time frame, a grade of “F” will appear on the student’s record.
  5. The student is responsible for making sure that the faculty member receives all required coursework according to the established timeline.

Independent Study

Independent study is defined as a course of study designed by a student to meet specific academic needs, taken outside regular classroom hours and supervised by one or more cooperating instructors. Regular college credit is given, and regular tuition is charged.

An independent study course may be undertaken under the following conditions:

  1. Elective credits only will be given, with the number of credits (not to exceed 3) determined by the appropriate division Dean.
  2. The student must propose the course to the supervising instructor at least five weeks prior to the beginning of the semester in which the work will be completed.
  3. The student and faculty member will jointly develop a formal proposal, which must include:
    1. Reason(s) for requesting independent study in lieu of existing elective course(s)
    2. Course title, suggested level (100, 200, etc.) and description
    3. Names of instructor(s) who have agreed to supervise
    4. Number of credits to be granted, including a description of how the credit hour policies will be met
    5. Learning outcomes to be pursued
    6. Method of measuring achievement of learning outcomes
    7. Grade calculation
  4. An instructor who has been asked to supervise such a study project must submit the project for approval to the division Dean not later than three weeks prior to the beginning of the semester. At least five days prior to the beginning of the semester, the division Dean must notify the instructor, the student, the Provost and the Registrar’s Office, in writing, of his or her approval or reasons for rejection. A student who fails to complete an independent study course within a semester may be granted a period of time in which to finish comparable to that extended to those taking traditional courses.

Language Placement Exams

Students planning to enroll in a French or Spanish class for the first time at Champlain College’s Burlington and Montreal campuses must take the Placement Exam and enroll at the recommended course level. If a student believes that they were placed at the wrong level, they should contact the Registrar’s Office.

Military Credit

Champlain College grants credit for military education following the guidelines issued by the American Council on Education.

Military and Veteran Education Benefits

The Veterans Services Office is part of the Office of Financial Aid. It was created to provide easy access to military and VA education, benefit information and services for our military and veteran students throughout the campus.

Services include:

  • VA and military education benefits counseling
  • Certification of enrollment to the VA
  • VA financial processing
  • Troubleshooting VA and military education benefit issues
  • Advocate for military and veterans on campus
  • Coordinate services with VA vocational rehabilitation counselors
  • Fax documents to the VA Regional Processing Office (RPO)
  • Assistance completing: Veterans Online Application (VONAPP), Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or other related applications

Military and Veteran Education Benefits

Champlain College is recognized as a military-friendly institution, partly because of the many military and veteran education benefit programs the College participates in. We are committed to the Yellow Ribbon Program (http://www.champlain.edu/admissions/undergraduate-admissions/financial-aid-undergraduate/military-and-veterans/yellow-ribbon-program), all the Veterans Affairs GI Bills

(www.gibill.va.gov), VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (www.vetsuccess.gov), Military Tuition Assistance and ROTC scholarships (http://www.goarmy.com/rotc.html) through our affiliation with the UVM Green Mountain Battalion.

Military Tuition Assistance

Military Tuition Assistance (MiTA) is funded by the Department of Defense and can pay up to 100% of tuition and fee expenses up to limits imposed by each branch of service. MiTA can be used in conjunction with Department of Veterans Affairs GI Bills, Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill) and Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill) through the “Top-Up” program to pay for tuition and fees. (http://www.champlain.edu/current-students/financial-aid-and-student-accounts/financial-aid/military-and-veterans.)

Name Change

Students who petition to change their name in the College’s Student Information System must present legal documentation of the name change in the form of a court document, driver’s license, Social Security card, or other acceptable legal document to the College’s Enrollment Service Center.

Non-Matriculated Students

Students may enroll with non-degree status and take a maximum of 18 credits. Continuing beyond 18 credits requires application for admission to a degree program or approval by the Registrar. Credit-based tuition and institutional policies for non-degree students are the same as those for degree-seeking students. Students seeking matriculated status must be admitted to the College through the appropriate Champlain Admission Office. Academic achievement in courses taken as a non-degree student does not guarantee admission to the institution.

Enrollment in CPS Division Online Courses - Undergraduate

(This policy does not apply to Summer Session)
Undergraduate online courses offered through the College’s Division of Continuing Professional Studies (CPS) are designed to address the specific educational needs of adult students. Students who are enrolled through the traditional Admission Office of the College are not permitted to register for online courses, with these exceptions:

  1. Students who are 23 or older
  2. Education majors who are in their final semester and are student teaching
  3. Students in internships at such a distance from the College that they are prevented from taking courses on campus, with permission of the Academic Dean of Continuing Professional Studies and the Dean of their professional program
  4. Students participating in a study abroad/Champlain Abroad semester, with permission of the Academic Dean of Continuing Professional Studies and the Dean of the student’s professional program

Exception requests will not be considered to accommodate more convenient course, commuting and/or employment schedules.

Posthumous Degree Policy

Champlain College may award an undergraduate degree posthumously in recognition of a student’s work and satisfactory progress toward the degree at the time of death.

An undergraduate degree may be awarded posthumously if:

  1. At the time of death, the student was enrolled in courses required for completion of a degree or nearing the completion of work required for award of the degree;
  2. The student was in good academic standing;
  3. A favorable recommendation for award of the degree is made by the Dean;
  4. The Provost approves the recommendation to award the degree.

Reenrollment and Readmission to Champlain College

Students who have not been enrolled at the College more than two consecutive semesters (not including summer) who have been academically dismissed or who left the College while on academic probation are required to submit a formal application for readmission. The Registrar’s Office will coordinate the readmission process with the student’s academic division. The student’s academic requirements may fall under the catalog operating at the time of readmission and may include additional conditions.

Students in good academic standing who have missed two or fewer consecutive full semesters (not including summer) may reenroll by contacting the Registrar’s Office. In such circumstances, most or all of the student’s academic requirements may be those required for the original catalog year under which the student began his or her studies.

Retaking Courses

Students may retake a course up to two times, for a total of three attempts, in order to pass the course or improve their grade in the course. Course withdrawals are counted as attempts. Students may not repeat the course simply to improve a grade if a more advanced course in the sequence has already been completed. Credit for the course will be granted only once (unless otherwise specified), and the highest grade received will be counted toward the CGPA. All grades received for a course will remain on the transcript, even though only the highest will be used in the calculation of the CGPA.

Technology Lab and Studio Usage

All Champlain College technology labs and studios have specific rules defining usage and a code of conduct. Some labs and studios may have additional protocols that must be followed based on usage. All Champlain College students using these facilities are required to follow this policy and accept its terms upon entry to the lab. This policy is posted publicly in each lab, and can be found under Student Resources and Policies in Canvas.

Failure to adhere to the usage terms and code of conduct may result in disciplinary action, which could include loss of access to campus technology labs.


  1. While a class is in session, students who are not members of that class may not use a technology lab or studio without permission from faculty.
  2. Classwork takes priority in campus technology labs and studios at all times. Students not engaged in class related work must yield their seat to those needing the computer/technology for homework if no others are available.
  3. No food is allowed in the technology labs and studios. Beverages are allowed in containers with closeable lids.
  4. All students using a technology lab or studio after 8:30PM and any time on weekends must have a working campus ID proving they have been authorized to use the space.
  5. No student shall admit another student to a campus technology lab or studio that does not have authorized access via his/her student ID.
  6. During unmonitored times, the door to the technology lab or studio must remain closed and locked.
  7. Students are not allowed to use the podium and/or projection system without consent from a faculty member.
  8. All students must wear headphones when listening to personal audio, or when working with audio that may disrupt the working environment for others.
  9. All students must be courteous to other users in the technology labs and studios. Please avoid loud disruptive behavior, and profanity.
  10. All students using a technology lab or studio are responsible for maintaining a safe, productive, and inclusive working environment for all.

Hardware and Software

  1. All students must adhere to the User Agreement License of all software and files used in campus technology labs.
  2. All students are responsible for logging off the system before leaving to protect their accounts.
  3. Students must have prior authorization from faculty or Information Systems staff in order to upload and/or install any software files, add anything to the program launcher, or remove or relocate any software or desktop shortcuts.
  4. Students must backup/save all of their files onto removable media or an external repository. Campus computers may not be used as storage devices.
  5. If problems arise, email champsupport@champlain.edu. Include the computer number, a detailed description of the problem, and the date and time the problem occurred. Do not attempt to correct technical or facility problems yourself.
  6. Do not remove any lab or studio equipment, hardware, software, or peripherals from the lab or studio without consent of faculty and Information Systems staff.


A transcript is an official copy of a student’s permanent record with the College and cannot be changed. Transcripts are issued by the Registrar’s Office only at the written request of the student or alumnus. Written requests can be made in person, via fax or via postal mail. Requests will be honored as quickly as possible in the order of application. However, during especially busy periods (Commencement, registration, etc.) there will be delays in processing, so transcripts should be requested well in advance. Five copies of a student’s transcript will be provided free of charge. A fee of $5 will be charged for each subsequent copy.

Official transcripts (those with the College seal) are sent only to a college or university, a state or federal agency, or an employer. Only under special circumstances will an official transcript be sent directly to the student. Unofficial transcripts for a student’s personal use do not bear the official seal of Champlain College and may be sent directly to students. Note: transcripts will be sent only when a student’s account is paid in full.

Transfer/Advanced Standing

All transfer applicants are required to submit official transcripts of their high school and college records. The acceptance of transfer credits is at the sole discretion of Champlain College.

A student who transfers from another college may be awarded transfer credit of up to one-third of the total credit hours toward a professional certificate, up to 30 hours toward an associate’s degree, and up to 75 hours toward a bachelor’s degree, provided that similar required or elective courses are offered at Champlain College. Judgment of similarity is based on criteria provided by the appropriate academic division Dean or Champlain College, and judgments are made at the College’s discretion. Credit hours for transferred courses are given full value, but grades are not transferred to a student’s permanent Champlain College record and do not become part of a student’s cumulative grade point average at Champlain College. In order to be considered for transfer credit, a course must be completed with a grade of “C” or higher. For more information, please contact the Registrar’s Office.

Transfer to Other Institutions

Credit for courses taken at Champlain College is generally transferable to other institutions of higher education. However, because the decision of whether to grant credit for any particular course is made by the receiving institution and not by Champlain College, students should consult with officials at the receiving institution concerning the transferability of credits earned at Champlain College.

Withdrawal from College

Any student withdrawing from the College begins that process by obtaining a College Withdrawal Form from the Student Life Office, the Registrar’s Office, the Office of Student Accounts, or the academic division offices. The counseling staff is available to provide support to students who need to leave the College due to medical or mental health issues. As part of the withdrawal process, the student will receive a statement setting forth the financial implications of his or her withdrawal. The withdrawal date recorded on the student’s official College record will be determined by the registrar when the withdrawal form is completed. It is the student’s responsibility to officially withdraw from the College. A student who withdraws from the College without following this procedure jeopardizes his or her opportunity to receive any refund.

The College reserves the right to withdraw any student for academic, safety or disciplinary reasons. Any student who stops attending all his or her classes may be withdrawn from the College with or without the student’s consent. If a student wishes to contest the College’s initiation of an involuntary withdrawal that is for more than a temporary period, the College will provide a hearing and appeal opportunity to the student under the procedures specified in the College’s Conduct Review process. The student should inform the administrative office initiating the withdrawal of his or her intent to contest such initiation within 5 working days of the student’s receiving notice. The College will consider waiver of this deadline in cases where the student was incapacitated; requests for waiver should be submitted to the same administrative office.

Withdrawal from College - Medical

Champlain College is committed to the safety and well-being of its community members and to the integrity of the living and learning environment. Our goal, therefore, is to maintain the health and safety of each individual in our community and to enable all enrolled students to participate fully in the life of the College.

Voluntary Medical Leaves of Absence

Students may take a voluntary medical leave of absence from their studies as a result of medical or mental health issues that compromise their ability to continue in an academic program.  A student may apply for a medical leave of absence at any time after enrolling at the College. To request a Medical leave of absence, students should follow the following process:

  • Review the Medical Leave of Absence Form and process with a Champlain College Student Health & Wellness staff member;
  • Complete the Medical Leave of Absence Form including obtaining all necessary signatures; and
  • Provide clinical documentation from a health care provider explaining the need for medical leave of absence to Champlain College Student Health & Wellness.

If the student chooses to take a voluntary medical leave of absence and is unable to process that request due to their medical condition, the Assistant VP of Student Life or designee will assist with processing this request. 

After the student submits the medical leave of absence Form to the Registrar’s Office, and clinical documentation has been received and approved, the student will receive grades of “W” for all classes in which they are enrolled. Once the clinical documentation has been received and approved, the student will be notified and Champlain will review each situation in order to determine any refunds which might apply.  Financial aid awards may be adjusted, in accordance with federal regulations, based on the date of the withdrawal (this applies to involuntary medical leaves of absence as well). Students should always consult with Financial Aid when dropping courses or taking a leave of absence to determine what, if any, impact that might have on their aid eligibility.  Students are not eligible to apply for medical withdrawal after the completion of the semester.

Any student who is granted a medical leave of absence will be required to complete the Return from Medical Leave of Absence Form as a requirement of returning to the College.  Students will be notified of the steps that must be taken to reenroll (see reenrollment section below).

Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence

In instances in which behavior related to a student’s mental or medical health poses a threat to others, becomes a barrier to appropriate or prescribed levels of self-care, or causes significant disruption to the activities of members of the College community, such students may be required to take an involuntary medical leave of absence from the College. The College may take this step in situations where a student is unable or unwilling to carry out substantial self-care obligations, where current medical knowledge and/or the best available objective evidence indicates that a student poses a significant risk to the health or safety of others, or where a student poses an actual risk to their own safety not based on mere speculation, stereotypes, or generalizations about individuals with disabilities. Before placing any student with a disability on an involuntary leave of absence, the College will do an individualized assessment to determine if there are reasonable accommodations that would permit the student to continue to participate in the College’s campus community without taking a leave of absence. When applicable, the student will be informed in writing of the actions that led to them being medically withdrawn and direct the student to the process for returning to campus. The student’s parent/guardian/emergency contact person may be notified if it is determined that the student is in a potentially dangerous situation.

Any student placed on an involuntary medical leave of absence will not be allowed to remain on campus. This includes living in residence halls, attending classes, and/or participating in Champlain sponsored events.

The Assistant VP for Student Life or designee may, based upon reports, observations or other information about the student’s behavior, require a student to undergo an individualized psychological and/or medical assessment if it is determined that such an assessment would be helpful or necessary in order to make an informed decision regarding the student’s ability to meet the academic, social, behavioral and emotional requirements of being a Champlain student. This assessment can be conducted by a member of the College’s clinical staff or College-designated external medical professionals, or by a student’s external health care provider who is treating the student (subject to ultimate review by the College’s clinical staff, College-designated external medical professionals, and/or the Assistant VP for Student Life or designee) . The student will be required to sign a release that gives permission to the College’s designated clinical personnel to speak with an external evaluating health care provider and to allow for the release of any relevant medical reports as part of the assessment. If the student chooses not to engage in the assessment described here where it is determined that such an assessment would be helpful or necessary, then the student may be required to take an involuntary medical leave of absence and if applicable, an immediate removal from the residence halls.  Any such decision will be based on an individualized assessment, taking account of the criteria and factors described above.

If, following the evaluation, an involuntary medical leave of absence is deemed unnecessary, the Assistant VP for Student Life or designee may impose other conditions and/or requirements which the student would be required to complete as a condition of continued enrollment at the College.

In any instance in which an involuntary medical leave of absence is required, the Assistant VP for Student Life or designee will provide written notice to the student, including the specific requirements that must be met as a condition of eligibility for return, the timeline for initiating and completing the return process, as well as the procedure for appealing the decision. In most instances, the parent(s) or guardian(s) of the student will be included in this notice. Students are strongly encouraged to discuss the need for a voluntary or involuntary medical leave of absence with their parent(s) or guardian(s) prior to and/or during the leave process.

Appeal Procedure

Students have the right to appeal decisions made about voluntary and involuntary medical leaves of absence. All appeals must be made in writing and sent to the Assistant Vice President of Student Life and must specify the reasons for the appeal. An appeal of a decision must be received within seven business days after the student has been informed of the decision.  Appeals may be heard by an appeal officer, or by an Appeal Committee; the College will decide in its discretion whether an appeal officer or an Appeal Committee will consider the appeal. 

An Appeal Committee will consist of faculty and/or staff.   The responsibility of the Appeal Committee or the officer hearing the appeal is to determine a fair course of action in light of evidence presented. When the appeal is complete, the matter shall be deemed fully resolved without further recourse.

Request for Return

While a student is on a voluntary or involuntary medical leave, they will not have the status of an enrolled student. In order to re-enroll as a student at the College, the student must satisfy any individually-determined conditions that were outlined or agreed to in connection with the leave, and follow the process described here.

In the case of both voluntary and involuntary medical leaves of absence, the duration of the absence is typically no fewer than three to six full months, although the specific length of the leave will be based on the student’s individualized assessment.  The student must complete the Return From Medical Leave of Absence Form and provide required documentation from a treating provider as a requirement of returning to the College.  This form and documentation will be reviewed and evaluated by the College’s Student Health and Wellness team, who will make a recommendation to the Assistant VP for Student Life about the student’s readiness to return. Under extraordinary circumstances the College may require an additional individualized assessment from a provider chosen by the College to ensure the student’s readiness to return, in light of the criteria and factors described above. Students who are cleared to return to campus will still need to follow standard re-admission policies and procedures, which are overseen by the Registrar’s Office.  Please note the due dates for Return From Medical Leave forms.


Due date for Fall Return

Due date for Spring Return

Return From Medical Leave Form to Student Health & Wellness

July 1

November 1


Reenrollment Form to Registrar’s Office

August 1

December 1