Apr 20, 2024  
2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog 
2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Information and Policies

Academic Grievance Policy & Procedure


The purpose of this policy and procedure is to provide Champlain College students the opportunity for additional review of the facts pertaining to an academic decision affecting them. Procedures are designed to provide objective and fair treatment (as provided specifically in the procedures) of both students and faculty and to resolve disputes in a timely manner.

An academic grievance is a claim that a specific academic decision or action that affects the student’s academic record or status has violated published policies or procedures. The assignment of grades is not generally considered a justifiable grievance under this policy unless published policies or procedures have been violated. Only the Provost (Chief Academic Officer) has the right to file an administrative grade change should a grievance involving a grade be accepted.


  • Informal Resolution
  1. A student who believes that they have been aggrieved must first attempt to seek an informal resolution with the other party involved in the dispute.
  2. Disputes that are not resolved directly between the parties involved may be brought to the appropriate Dean’s office responsible for the course.   The Dean/designee will seek to reach an informal resolution between the parties.
  3. If the matter is not resolved, then the student may choose to initiate the formal resolution process within the timelines established by this procedure.
  • Formal Resolution
  1. Student academic grievances must be specified in writing to the Dean/designee, along with supporting evidence that clearly identifies the cause of the grievance in relation to the definition of academic grievance included in this policy.
  2. The second party to the dispute must also provide the Dean/designee with a written account of the matter in dispute.
  3. The Dean/designee will reach a resolution by either holding an individual hearing or establishing an academic grievance committee where both parties participate, together or separately, to investigate the claims and counterclaims. All parties shall be given access to all submitted documents and treat them with confidentiality. The administrator who facilitated the informal resolution process will not hear the case or be on a committee in the formal resolution process.
  4. In instances when an academic grievance committee is convened, it will be composed of three faculty members and two students typically but not necessarily from within the division, but exclusive of those associated with the student, instructor, or program involved in the dispute.The academic grievance committee will make a recommendation to the Dean.
  5. Each party will make a presentation regarding his or her position. Each side is permitted to bring one support person (non-participating) to the hearing with advance notice to the Dean/designee.
  6. The Dean will inform the student and the faculty member in writing of the decision. If the Dean recommends a grade change, the decision shall be sent to the Provost for approval and implementation.
  7. The Dean’s decision may be appealed to the Provost by the student or the instructor, but only on the grounds of procedural violation. If an appeal is filed, the Provost or their designee may sustain or deny the appeal, may remand the matter for reconsideration by the Dean and/or rehearing by a third party, or may take other steps as the Provost deems appropriate.


  1. The formal academic grievance process must be initiated by submitting written notification to the Dean no later than thirty (30) academic/business days after the student is notified of the action under dispute.
  2. The Dean must convene a formal hearing within ten academic/business days of receipt of the grievance, or as soon as practicable.
  3. The Dean must communicate the decision to the student and the faculty within ten academic/business days after the meetings have occurred or as soon after as practical.
  4. If the student or instructor wishes to appeal on procedural grounds to the Provost, notification must be made in writing within five academic/business days of the Dean’s written notification of decision.
  5. The grievance shall be resolved no later than the last day of final examinations in the following semester.

Latin Honors and Awards

Trustee Scholar: A designation awarded to students who attend Champlain College full-time and maintain a 4.0 average for two consecutive semesters.

President’s List: A designation awarded to students who attend Champlain College full-time and achieve a semester average of 4.0.

Dean’s List: A designation awarded to students who attend Champlain College full-time and achieve a semester average of 3.50 or better.

Graduation Honors: Latin distinctions are given to graduating undergraduate students with the following minimum cumulative grade point averages:

Summa Cum Laude: 3.80 average
Magna Cum Laude: 3.65 average
Cum Laude: 3.50 average

Divisions may award additional honors recognizing academic, service and career development achievements. Conduct records may be accessed in the determination of these awards.

Academic Honesty


In addition to skills and knowledge, Champlain College aims to teach students appropriate ethical and professional standards of conduct. The Academic Honesty Policy exists to inform students and faculty of their obligations in upholding the highest standards of professional and ethical integrity. All student academic work is subject to the Academic Honesty Policy.

It is the student’s responsibility to understand and comply with College-wide policy as well as to ensure that any assigned work-including examinations, tests, quizzes, term papers, reports, themes and other exercises conform to a strict standard of academic honesty.

Any attempt to deceive a faculty member or to help another student to do so will be considered a violation of this standard.

Instructor’s Intended Purpose

The student’s work must match the instructor’s intended purpose for an assignment. While the instructor will establish the intent of an assignment, each student must clarify outstanding questions of that intent for a given assignment. It is the responsibility of the student to understand and follow the intent articulated by the instructor. For example:

  • If an assignment is intended to be strictly confined to work generated solely by the student, e.g. a research paper or individual presentation, then expropriation presented as the student’s own work is a violation of the Academic Honesty Policy.
  • The student is expected to follow accepted academic protocol, as defined by the instructor, in citation referencing.
  • If an assignment is intended for the student to carry out an original empirical study, then falsification or fabrication of data or presentation of data collected by someone else is a violation of the Academic Honesty Policy.
  • If an assignment is intended to involve the participation of multiple students, the student will be expected to follow the parameters established by the instructor regarding individual versus group contributions to any work products. It is the responsibility of each student in the group to understand and follow the intent articulated by the instructor. Work which strays from that intent or is done by another individual or individuals in the group and claimed as a particular student’s own work or contribution to group work is a violation of the Academic Honesty Policy.
  • If an assignment consists of building upon or mimicking a work, then the student will be expected to follow the parameters established by the instructor for that assignment. While it is expected that the student will clearly isolate the work he or she did from what already existed, this is up to the discretion of the instructor.
  • If an assignment consists of a pastiche of other copyrighted works, where the student exercises their fair-use rights, the instructor may allow the student to use expropriated and appropriated work for credit.
  • If an assignment is to participate in an online discussion, allowing someone else to log in to your account and to post to the discussion is a violation of the Academic Honesty Policy.
  • Students may not submit a paper or assignment written for one course in another course without permission of the instructor. Work that is reused without consent of the instructor will be considered a violation of the Academic Honesty Policy, even if that work was authored by the student.

Unauthorized Assistance

The student may not give or get any unauthorized assistance in the preparation of any work. Group-work contexts often need extra clarification. For example, sharing work without explicit authorization to do so is a violation of the Academic Honesty Policy. Students in doubt about the instructor’s expectations should seek clarification, or assume that the work must be completed individually.


The student must clearly establish authorship of a work. Referenced work must be clearly documented, cited, and attributed, regardless of media or distribution. Adequate documentation must articulate the resources, and even sources of inspiration, directly employed in the creation of a work. Even in the case of work licensed as public domain or Copyright, (See: http://creativecommons.org/) both Faculty and the student must provide attribution of that work in order to uphold the standards of intent and authorship. Professional and Academic practice provides guidance about how to properly cite, reference, and attribute the intellectual property of others. For general examples, see Section 1.6.


Online submission of, or placing one’s name on, an exam, assignment, or any course document is a statement of academic honor that the student has not received or given inappropriate assistance in completing it and that the student has complied with the Academic Honesty Policy in that work. Contributing to or obtaining material from an online assignment repository is considered a violation of academic honesty that can result in disciplinary action.


In essence, the Academic Honesty Policy poses the following questions to all students:

  • Who authored the work?
  • Has the student given or accepted unauthorized assistance in the preparation of the work?
  • Has the student successfully isolated his or her own authorship in the work?
  • Has the student clearly documented his or her own authorship?
  • Has the student met the instructor’s intended purpose for the assignment?

On each assignment, students are expected to isolate their authorship. This means that the Faculty member can precisely identify the student’s work. Documentation should embrace direct references, indirect references and background resources as required by the instructor. The Academic Honesty Policy requires the student to declare and document authorship.


Any violation of the Academic Honesty Policy, as determined by the instructor, may result in sanctions. The instructor may also impose a sanction on the student that varies depending upon the instructor’s evaluation of the nature and gravity of the offense.

Possible sanctions from the instructor include but are not limited to, the following:

  1. Requiring the student to redo the assignment;
  2. Requiring the student to complete another assignment;
  3. Assigning a grade of zero to the assignment;
  4. Assigning a final grade of “F” for the course.

A student may appeal these decisions according to the Academic Grievance Procedure. This policy is not exclusive, and in addition to course-based penalties, students may be subject to additional sanctions at the college level, particularly offenses considered egregious. For students who are repeat offenders, additional sanctions may be required as a result of the College’s Conduct Review Process for conduct that violates both this policy and the standard described in section 2 of the College’s Standard of Conduct.

Academic Probation and Academic Dismissal

The College will place on probation any matriculated student who, after attempting 12 or more credits, fails to achieve either a cumulative GPA (CGPA) of 2.0 or a term GPA of 2.0. Students who fail to achieve a CGPA of 1.80 after attempting 12 credits or who fails to achieve a CGPA of 2.0 after attempting 30 credits will be subject to dismissal.*

A student who is eligible for dismissal will receive a dismissal letter from his or her program Dean. Students are permitted to appeal the dismissal in writing within the time limit stated in the letter.

Academically dismissed students wishing to take courses as non-degree students may do so only with permission of their Program Dean.

*Language changed on 10/31/2019

Academic Renewal

Under certain circumstances, unsatisfactory course grades may be coded so that they do not adversely impact the student’s CGPA. The following conditions apply to the Academic Renewal policy as a whole:

  1. Academic Renewal will be granted only once
  2. All courses and grades will appear on the student’s transcript with the addition of a code indicating Academic Renewal where appropriate
  3. Academic Renewal will not be used to alter a student’s record for financial aid qualifications, scholarships or other purposes not outlined below
  4. Only the Registrar’s Office, in consultation with division Deans, as appropriate, will make the change to the student’s record
  5. This decision applies only to academic status and there may be additional financial aid implications

Students who are returning to Champlain may be eligible to have course grades eliminated from their CGPA calculation using the following criteria:

  1. The student  Champlain College  and has been readmitted to a degree program
  2. All courses in which a student earned less than a “C-” will no longer be used to calculate either the student’s overall CGPA or the credits earned toward graduation

Current students who have chosen to change majors may be eligible to have course grades eliminated from their CGPA calculation. The following conditions must apply:

  1. The student must request that Academic Renewal be applied at the time of the change of major. (Changing from an associate’s program to a bachelor’s program does not constitute a change of major.)
  2. The student must retain grades from any course in which they earned a “C-” or better
  3. The student must retain any course or specific elective type that is required in the new major (exclusive of technical and business focus electives)
  4. All courses not retained in the above points 2 and 3 will no longer be used in the calculation of the student’s overall CGPA or graduation credits
  5. The student must stay enrolled in the new major. If the student elects to change back to the original major, the Academic Renewal will be reversed


Students are expected to attend all their classes. Not doing so may jeopardize their academic success. If illness, accident or similar circumstances make it impossible for a student to attend classes, the student should notify the appropriate faculty member(s). Instructors provide a written class-attendance policy that states the consequences for absences. A student’s lack of attendance does not result in an automatic withdrawal from a course and a grade for the course will be assigned. Students must officially withdraw by the deadline using the Voluntary Course Withdrawal policy described below.

Champlain College requires students in courses online to demonstrate participation by Day 8 of the course.  “Participation” means that a student has completed a discussion post or submitted an assignment on or after the start date of the course.  If a student does not complete a post or an assignment by Day 8 of a course, the student will be automatically removed from the course(s) and their financial aid adjusted accordingly.

Audit Policy

Champlain College permits the auditing of courses, at a reduced rate, for individuals who wish to participate in courses simply for their own enrichment. Students auditing a course may attend all class sessions and participate in class discussions.

Academic work will be neither reviewed nor graded by the faculty. No credit will be issued for any course taken as an audit. Graduate courses, Core courses, and other courses designated by academic divisions may not be taken as audits.

Audits will be permitted only on a space-available basis. Audit registration begins one week prior to the start of the course. A student may change a course from audit to credit or credit to audit only during the first 10 days of the semester. Once courses have begun, no refunds are issued for credit-to-audit changes. Additional charges will be applied for changes from audit to credit.

Change of Major

Requests for change of major should start with the student’s current faculty advisor. Final approval of change of major requests rests with the division Dean responsible for the new program or that Dean’s designee.  Change of major requests will not be accepted during the last week of classes or during final exam week.

Changes in Courses or Schedules (Add/Drop Period)

A student may add or drop courses, or change from one section to another of the same course during the first five days of each semester. After that time period, students may change sections or add a new course only with the permission of the course instructor and appropriate Dean, or designee, after reviewing the student’s likelihood of success.

Classroom Behavior

Each instructor is responsible for maintaining an in-person and/or online classroom environment that facilitates effective teaching, learning and safety. The classroom environment should be such that it prepares students for behavior that is expected in the professional and corporate environments in which they are preparing to live and work. The College includes electronic communication in its definition of the classroom environment to include email, video conference and telephone meetings, and activities in Canvas related to each course.

Inappropriate classroom conduct which disrupts in-person or online classroom or laboratory activities is a violation of the Champlain College Standard of Conduct. Examples of disruptive conduct include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Tardiness, leaving and returning during class, or leaving class early without permission from the professor;
  • Any unauthorized use of electronic devices such as cellular phones, pagers and music devices in the classroom or laboratory;
  • Personal conversations during class;
  • Abusive language or epithets directed towards other persons;
  • Posting inappropriate online posts;
  • Refusing to comply with the directions of the instructor.

Disruptive and disrespectful behavior on the part of any student will not be tolerated. The instructor has the responsibility to determine appropriate standards of behavior in the class as long as the requirement does not infringe upon the individual’s rights. Science laboratory classrooms that may introduce a safety hazard to the student under certain circumstances may inherently require strict regulation of safety protocol in addition to normal rules of behavior.

An instructor may require that a student leave the classroom or laboratory - in- person or online space - if the student is disruptive and does not heed a verbal or written first warning. In the online environment, an instructor may use their discretion to delete inappropriate posts. Return of the student to the classroom or laboratory may require a written pledge by the student to abide by the rules of expected classroom decorum or safety.

Continued inappropriate conduct or safety violations will be grounds for dismissal from the course in question for the remainder of the semester. Should a faculty member determine that a disruptive student should be dismissed from a class for the remainder of the semester with a failing grade, there shall be a written statement to the student, citing the student’s right of appeal under the Academic Grievance Procedure . Further action may also be taken by the Office of Student Conduct under the College’s Conduct Review process.

Commencement Ceremony - May Participation

Bachelor’s and associate’s degree candidates who have completed all of their degree requirements may participate in and have any appropriate academic honors announced at the Commencement ceremony. Bachelor’s degree candidates within 8 credits of meeting all program requirements and associate’s degree candidates within 4 credits of meeting all program requirements are eligible to take part in the ceremony as non-graduating participants. All participating undergraduates must also have an overall cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher. Students who wish to participate in the commencement ceremony as non-graduating participants must have a plan to complete the degree within two semesters. This plan must be filed with and approved by the Registrar.

Non-graduating participants are ineligible to have Latin honors designated in the program; to have Latin honors announced during the event; or to have their name listed in local media until they have successfully completed their remaining academic program requirements.

Diploma Name

On the graduation application, each student has the opportunity to write their name as they would like it to appear on the diploma. The College reserves the right to approve all diploma name requests.

Core Curriculum

The Core curriculum is an intentionally integrative general education curriculum, and traditional undergraduate students are required to take a pair of courses each semester. A student who wishes to withdraw from one of the two Core courses during that time when a student may withdraw without penalty will be required to sign a statement indicating that s/he is aware that, in order to remain on track in the Core, s/he will have to make up the Core course(s) during the summer at his/her own expense. Non-attendance is not a valid reason to request withdrawal from one of the required Core courses.

  1. In a given semester, a student must take both Core courses appropriate to that semester (e.g., COR 110  and COR 115  are co-requisite courses for first- year, first-semester students)
  2. All Core curriculum courses in a given year must be completed with a passing grade before a student may enroll in any of the Core courses in any of the subsequent years. COR 110 , COR 115 , COR 120  and COR 125  are prerequisites for any second-year Core course; four 200-level Core courses are prerequisites for any third-year Core course; and all the third-year Core courses are prerequisites for the fourth-year college capstone course unless an exception is granted by the Dean of the Core Division. (Most often, exceptions are granted in the case of illness or an unusual study abroad situation.)
  3. In the first year, a student must pass COR 110  before taking COR 120  and must pass COR 115  before taking COR 125 .
  4. Makeup courses at the 200 level will be available only in the summer session. All traditional students must take (or receive approved transfer credit) for two Fall 200-level Core courses and two Spring 200-level Core courses. Students who fail a 200-level Core course must successfully complete an appropriate 200-level Core course during the appropriate Champlain summer session before going on to the third-year Core courses. The course does NOT have to be the identical course as the course the student failed, but it must be from the same semester. Each summer, the Core Division will offer two Fall semester 200-level Core courses in the first summer session and two Spring semester 200-level Core courses in the second summer session.
  5. In the third year, course pairs (COR 310 /COR 320  and the two COR 330  courses) may be taken in either semester to accommodate study abroad demands
  6. All students matriculated in undergraduate degree programs must be enrolled in the Core courses sequenced for their catalog year each term that they are at Champlain College. Students who intend to transfer are not exempted from this requirement, but are encouraged to consult with the Dean of the Core Division to discuss how to maximize transfer credits awarded by the receiving institution.

Course Load and Credit Hours

To be considered full-time, a student must enroll in courses totaling at least 12 credit hours per 15-week semester. Students making changes that affect their full-time status should first check with the Financial Aid Office to determine the effect of such changes on aid eligibility.

Normally, one unit of credit is based on 15 hours of classroom instruction and 30 hours of homework per semester. To be considered full-time, a student must enroll in courses totaling at least 12 credit hours per 15-week semester.

Approval will be required for students who wish to take more than 18 credits during the fall or spring semester. If the number of credits desired is 18-20, and the cumulative grade point average (CGPA) is at least 3.0, students should consult with the Registrar’s Office to request permission. Students with a CGPA of less than 3.0, or with a desired number of credits greater than 20, must obtain the written permission of the Dean of their professional program.

Approval will be required for students who wish to take more than two courses or 7 credits (whichever is greater) in a single summer session. Students who have a CGPA of 3.0 or higher should consult with the Registrar’s Office to request approval. Students who have a CGPA of less than 3.0 or who want to take more than 9 credits in a single session must obtain the written permission of the Dean of their professional program.

Course Waivers and Course Substitutions

Substitutions for required courses must be authorized by the Dean (or designee) responsible for the course in question. Students may consult with the Registrar’s Office if they are unsure who should approve a course waiver. In all cases of waiver or substitution, the appropriate divisional representative will notify the Registrar’s Office at the time of the decision. The Registrar’s Office will then make the appropriate changes to the student’s record.

Champlain College offers examinations in Calculus that can result in waiver of a course requirement for MTH 230 (Calculus I.) When a course is waived, the course requirement is considered met, but credits are not awarded. Additional information can be obtained from academic specialists or faculty advisors.

Course Withdrawal - Involuntary

In addition to voluntary course withdrawals, there are instances in which the College may involuntarily withdraw a student. These include, but are not limited to, violations of the College’s Standard of Conduct, disciplinary problems, or damaging the College’s relationships with internships or project sites. A grade of IW will be assigned and the student will need to retake the course if it is a program requirement

Course Withdrawal - Voluntary

It is the student’s responsibility to officially withdraw from a course. Students enrolled through the traditional college wishing to withdraw from a course must complete a Course Withdrawal form. This form is available online or from the Registrar’s Office. The form must be signed by both the student and their faculty advisor. The withdrawal becomes effective the date the form is received by the Registrar’s Office. Failure to formally withdraw may result in failing grades, reduction in financial aid and academic dismissal from the College. Deadlines for withdrawing without academic penalty are strictly enforced. Contact the Registrar’s Office for specific dates.

Students may withdraw from a full semester (15-week) course through the 11th week of the semester and receive a grade of “W,” which is not calculated in the GPA. After the 11th week, individual course withdrawal is not permitted. 

Course Withdrawal without Academic Penalty

15-week course withdraw by end of 11th week
12-week course withdraw by end of 9th week
10-week course withdraw by end of 7th week
7-week course withdraw by middle of 5th week
6-week course withdraw by middle of 4th week
5-week course withdraw by middle of 3rd week

Cross-Registration Agreements

All arrangements to take courses at any institutions with cross-registration agreements require permission of the Dean of a student’s professional program.

Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA)

A student’s CGPA is calculated by multiplying the credit hours for each course by the grade point per credit hour of that course as determined by the final grade. For example, a 3-credit-hour course in which a student receives a “B” (3.0 grade points per credit hour) will equal 9.0 grade points for that course. The cumulative grade point average will then equal the total grade points divided by the total number of credit hours. Grades earned in transferred courses are not used in CGPA calculations.

Curriculum Changes

The College reserves the right to adjust the curriculum and course content whenever such adjustments are academically appropriate and approved by the administration. The curriculum requirements in effect during the catalog year in which the student enters will remain in effect for that student unless the changes have no material effect on the student’s graduation date, or the student wishes to pursue a more recent set of requirements.

Degree Requirements - Bachelor’s

To be eligible for a bachelor’s degree from Champlain College, a traditional undergraduate student must meet the following requirements:

  1. Matriculate into a Champlain College traditional baccalaureate major and satisfactorily complete all its specific requirements;
  2. Earn at least 120 credit hours, 45 of which must be earned at Champlain College. In addition, of the last 60 credits required for the bachelor’s degree, 30 must be earned at Champlain College. Individual programs may require specific courses to be completed here as described in the Transfer/Advanced Standing section that follows;
  3. Achieve an overall cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of at least 2.0 in courses completed at Champlain College;
  4. Satisfactorily complete all InSight requirements;
  5. Apply for graduation by submitting an application for graduation form by early February for May graduates; early July for August graduates; and early November for December graduates. The Registrar’s Office will notify all eligible graduates. 

Double Majors

Pursuing a double major requires careful planning and sequencing of courses; the effort will very likely require more than four years to complete. Students who wish to pursue a double major must first consult with the Dean of their professional program’s division to obtain approval. They must fulfill all the requirements of both programs, and there must be a difference of at least 24 credits between the two programs. Upon completion, one bachelor’s degree will be granted, and the transcript will list one degree and both majors.

Students wishing to complete two majors leading to two different bachelor’s degree types (e.g. BA, BS, BSW, BFA, BSBA) must obtain approval from the Dean or Deans affiliated with each degree. Students must fulfill all the requirements of both programs and the two programs must have at least 24 credits difference between them. Upon completion, two bachelor’s degrees will be granted and the transcript will list both degrees and majors.

Combined Bachelors-Masters (CBM) Programs

Program Definition

Selected Champlain College graduate programs offer a Combined Bachelors- Masters Program (CBM.) This program option is designed for exceptional undergraduate students to begin earning up to twelve graduate level credits while completing their undergraduate degree at Champlain.

Student Status

Students who are accepted into a CBM Program must continue to be enrolled as undergraduate students until the completion of their Bachelor’s degree. Upon completion of the Bachelor’s degree, participating students are then formally matriculated into their chosen graduate program. All graduate courses taken as part of an approved CBM program will be transferred into the selected graduate program at that time.


  • The application form for a CBM Program should be completed no less than 4 months before the anticipated enrollment in the student’s first graduate course.
  • Students applying for admission into a CBM program should show exceptional academic performance in their undergraduate studies. Typically, students should have a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.3 and a GPA of at least 3.5 in their field of study.
  • All applicants will be personally interviewed (face-to-face or via synchronous technology) by both their undergraduate program advisor AND the director of the program to which they are applying.
  • Depending on the specific CBM Program, an application may require additional materials and/or documents such as: letter(s) of recommendation, portfolio of previous work, transcript(s) from previous college(s), a written statement of purpose or standardized graduate entrance examinations (GRE, GMAT, LSAT etc).
  • Applicants to all CBM programs will be notified of their acceptance within four weeks of their completed application.

Program Participation

  • Once accepted into a CBM Program students are responsible for following all program requirements and guidelines including any specific directions given by director of their CBM graduate program.
  • In order to maintain active status in a CBM Program, students must meet academic standards that include:
    1. A minimum term CGPA of 3.0 in all undergraduate courses which have been attempted.
    2. A minimum term CGPA of 3.0 in all graduate courses which have been attempted.

      Note: Specific CBM Program standards may vary and, when established, these standards take precedence over college standards above.
  • Should a student fail to meet the academic requirements of the CBM program, the graduate program director will determine whether that student will be withdrawn from the CBM Program or placed on academic probation for continued participation in the CBM Program. Probationary status would allow continuation in the program subject to specific academic performance conditions.

Course Credit

  • Graduate courses taken while a student is an undergraduate and which are taken as part of an approved CBM program may “double count” by using those courses to fulfill undergraduate course requirements and, upon graduation, transferring those graduate courses into the designated CBM graduate program.
  • Graduate courses attempted while a student is an undergraduate as part of an approved CBM program must receive a grade of “C” or better in order to transfer into the designated graduate program. Graduate courses taken as part of the CBM Program and receiving a grade of below “C” must be repeated.
  • Undergraduate courses, unless supplemented with specific activities that increase the academic rigor to graduate level, may not be used to waive graduate program requirements as part of a CBM/4+1 Program.
  • Unless (1) otherwise stated in program requirements of a specific CBM Program or (2) exercised with permission of a student’s undergraduate and CBM program advisors, a maximum of twelve credit hours may be used (“double counted”) for both undergraduate and graduate credit.
  • Students may complete courses beyond the twelve credit hours of graduate courses eligible for “double counting” but such credits may not be used for credit in both the undergraduate and graduate programs. Using such courses for graduate credit, once matriculated into the selected graduate program, is acceptable.
  • Students enrolled in any CBM program must follow their personal educational plan as outlined collaboratively by their CBM Program Director and undergraduate program advisor. Failure to follow the prescribed educational plan may result in dismissal from the CBM program.
  • Students may withdraw from their CBM Program at any time.
  • Students who withdraw or are dismissed from their CBM Program will not formally receive graduate credit for graduate courses taken as part of their undergraduate program requirements. While courses will be recognized internally by Champlain as having met graduate level requirements the transfer of those credits to any other institution is at the discretion of the receiving institution.

Graduate Program Matriculation

  • Upon completion of their undergraduate degree, students enrolled in a CBM Program must matriculate into their selected graduate program immediately. Upon matriculation into their graduate program, students will be given the full time-to-completion for their graduate program that is allowed traditionally accepted students.
  • Students who withdraw or are involuntarily withdrawn from a CBM Program for any reason and who later wish to enter the Graduate Program associated from the CBM Program in which they were enrolled must apply for admission into that Graduate Program.

Specializations and Minors


A minor broadens or deepens a student’s education and may expand their professional opportunities within or beyond their primary career focus. The following criteria apply to minors:

  • Available to any student at the College

  • Comprised of 15-18 credit hours

  • Credit requirements:

    • 15 credit minors are required to complete 9 unique credits

    • 18 credit minors are required to complete 12 unique credits

    • General elective credit requirements can be used toward completing a minor

    • “Unique credits” are those that are not shared by any of the student’s other minor, specialization, program major or Core requirement

The following circumstances also apply:

  • Some programs require that students select a minor.

  • Addition of a minor may extend the time needed to fulfill all course requirements and the student may graduate with more than 120 credits.

  • Consultation with a faculty advisor and Academic Specialist, and permission of the division Dean or designee, are required before a student can declare more than two minors.

  • Minors with 21 credits approved prior to January 1, 2017 will be grandfathered into this new format, with the expectation that the minor will be modified by January 1, 2018


A specialization allows students to gain additional focus in a specific aspect of their major area of study. The following criteria apply to specializations:

  • Associated with a particular major only, either as required or optional

  • Comprised of a minimum of 12 credit hours

  • General elective credit requirements can be used toward completing an optional specialization.

  • No more than 1 required specialization course can be used to fulfill a major, minor, or additional specialization requirement

Extended Campus Closure

Class During an Extended Campus Closure:

Champlain College takes precautionary measures to ensure that your classes can continue in a “virtual environment” even during an extended emergency such as severe weather, contagious disease, physical infrastructure failure, campus closure, or similar incident. Classes will continue, either online through Canvas, a College-provided learning management system, or through some other process.

In the event of such an emergency, students are expected to continue instructor-designated class activities, as directed by the instructor. Due to the nature of the “virtual environment,” learning activities may differ slightly from those in the on-campus version of your courses. In order for this emergency preparedness plan to be effective, students are asked to do the following:


  • Ensure that you will have a computer and broadband Internet access at the location (home or other) in which you will reside during an extended campus closure.
  • Prepare yourself with the basic skills of logging into Canvas, finding your courses and entering them.
  • Participate in a “warm up” online activity in the “virtual environment” when directed to do so by your instructor.

During an Emergency

  • Test your broadband Internet access immediately upon arriving at your chosen residence during the campus closure.
  • Log into Canvas and enter your courses.
  • Check for emergency information on Champlain College’s main website (www.Champlain.edu), which will indicate the semester week and day when Champlain classes will resume online.
  • Enter each of your classes and go to the appropriate week of the class where you will receive directions from your instructor.

Grade Changes

Grades submitted to the Registrar’s Office are final.  Acceptable reasons for changing grades are:

  • To correct an error in grade assignment;
  • To remove a grade of Incomplete;
  • To address the outcome of a student grade appeal through the appropriate processes set forth in this catalog.

Student requests for grade changes must be submitted to the faculty no later than the last day of exams one semester after the semester in which the grade was earned. Students wishing to appeal an instructor’s denial of the grade change should follow the Academic Grievance Process, located in this catalog. All faculty requests for grade changes must be documented and approved by the Dean responsible for the course.

Grades – Midsemester

In conjunction with frequent evaluations, mid-semester grades help students understand their level of progress. Faculty members submit mid-semester grades for each student to the Registrar’s Office for all 15-week courses. These grades are internal and do not appear on student transcripts.

Grade Achievement Grade Equivalent Standard
S (satisfactory) C or better A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C,
U (unsatisfactory) Passing C-, D+, D, D-
F (failing) Not passing F  

Grades - Semester

At the end of each semester, faculty members submit to the registrar a final grade for each student. Some majors have minimum grade requirements for specific courses which are higher than the lowest acceptable grade in the scheme below. See individual academic programs for information.

Grade Range Achievement Grade Points
    Standard per Credit Hour
A (93+) Outstanding 4.00
A- (90-92) Outstanding 3.67
B+ (87-89) High quality 3.33
B (83-86) High quality 3.00
B- (80-82) High quality 2.67
C+ (77-79) Acceptable 2.33
C (73-76) Acceptable 2.00
C- (70-72) Acceptable 1.67
D+ (67-69) Passing* 1.33
D (63-66) Passing* 1.00
D- (60-62) Passing* 0.67
F (Below 60) Failing 0.00
P   Pass Not computed
NP   No Pass 0.00
W Withdrawn before the 11th week of a traditional-length course Not computed
I Incomplete Not computed
IW Involuntary Course Withdrawal Not computed
AU Audit No grade or credit earned

Champlain College Spring 2020 Grading Policy*

At the end of the Spring 2020 semester, faculty will be required to submit a final letter grade for all students in each course section.  Students may elect to have all or some of their courses adjusted to Champlain College’s Midsemester Grade Scheme, S/U/F. Any courses graded S/U/F as the course final grade will contribute to a student’s overall attempted and completed credits.  

Grade Achievement Grade Equivalent Standard
S (Satisfactory) C or better A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C
U (Unsatisfactory) Passing C-, D+, D, D-
F (Failing) Not Passing F

Faculty will still report letter grades (A-F) for all students, and if a student requests S/U/F, the grades will be converted by the Registrar’s Office to a S for grades of C or higher, U for grades of C- through D-.  Failing grades will remain an F. 

GPA Considerations:

  • S and U grades do not contribute to a student’s GPA.  

  • A grade of F will result in a 0 and will diminish a student’s GPA.

  • It is possible that some students will not have a term GPA (blank) if they elect S/U/F and do not earn any F grades.

  • For students to be considered for the Dean’s List or President’s List students must have a minimum of 12 credits with associated letter grades (A-F).

  • Senior students need a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher to graduate with Latin Honors.

How to Request S/U/F Grades


Students will request to convert their letter grades (A-F) to S/U/F by completing and submitting a form to the Registrar’s Office.  This form is due May 1, 2020. If students do not make the request by May 1, then they will receive the letter grades (A-F) that their faculty have submitted.  Once final grades have been submitted, the Registrar’s Office will make all grade conversions based on the student’s request. Students will not be able to revoke their request for S/U/F grades once the request has been made. 


Some students may not be eligible to elect the S/U/F grade scheme because of program accreditation or the need to apply for licensure.  Specifically, students enrolled in EDU-490 may not receive S/U/F for final grades.If you have questions about this please contact your Faculty Advisor.

Additionally, any student on an academic plan for financial aid (Satisfactory Academic Progress) will need to get prior permission from Financial Aid before requesting  a conversion to S/U/F grades.


Students who are currently on Academic Recovery for Spring 2020 should work with both the Registrar’s Office and their Dean’s Office to establish a grading plan for the semester.  Existing college policies of GPA requirements, Academic Probation and Dismissal will still apply for the 2020 Spring semester.

* Changed in response to COVID-19 Pandemic

Incomplete Work

With permission of the instructor and the Dean responsible for the course in question, an interim grade of incomplete may be assigned for a course in which the student has met all of the following criteria:

  1. Completed a major portion of the course with a passing grade;
  2. Been unable to complete course requirements before the last day of classes because of documented illness or serious circumstance beyond the student’s control;
  3. Obtained agreement from the instructor and arranged for resolution of the incomplete grade.

The following procedures apply:

  1. The written request must be made by, or on behalf of, the student before the last day of classes.
  2. If an incomplete is granted by the Dean, the instructor will outline the remaining coursework and the timeline for completion. The timeline cannot be later than the end of the eighth week after the last day of final exams in the semester in which the incomplete was given, except by permission of the Dean responsible for the course. 
  3. Incompletes granted as a result of academic accommodations must be verified by the Office of Accessibility.
  4. When the required work is complete, the earned grade will permanently replace the “I” grade on the transcript. If the work is not completed within the established time frame, the student will receive a grade of “F” for the course.
  5. The student is responsible for making sure that the faculty member receives all required coursework according to the established timeline.

Independent Study

Independent study is defined as a course of study designed by a student to meet specific academic needs, taken outside regular classroom hours and supervised by one or more cooperating instructors. Regular college credit is given, and regular tuition is charged.

An independent study course may be undertaken under the following conditions:

  1. Elective credits only will be given, with the number of credits (not to exceed 3) determined by the appropriate division Dean.
  2. The student must propose the course to the supervising instructor at least five weeks prior to the beginning of the semester in which the work will be completed.
  3. The student and faculty member will jointly develop a formal proposal, which must include:
    1. Reason(s) for requesting independent study in lieu of existing elective course(s)
    2. Course title, suggested level (100, 200, etc.) and description
    3. Names of instructor(s) who have agreed to supervise
    4. Number of credits to be granted, including a description of how the credit hour policies will be met
    5. Learning outcomes to be pursued
    6. Method of measuring achievement of learning outcomes
    7. Grade calculation
  4. An instructor who has been asked to supervise such a study project must submit the project for approval to the division Dean not later than three weeks prior to the beginning of the semester. At least five days prior to the beginning of the semester, the division Dean must notify the instructor, the student, the Provost and the Registrar’s Office, in writing, of his or her approval or reasons for rejection. A student who fails to complete an independent study course within a semester may be granted a period of time in which to finish comparable to that extended to those taking traditional courses.

Language Placement Exams

Students planning to enroll in a French or Spanish class for the first time at Champlain College’s Burlington and Montreal campuses must take the Placement Exam and enroll at the recommended course level. If a student believes that they were placed at the wrong level, they should contact the Registrar’s Office.

Military Credit

Champlain College grants credit for military education following the guidelines issued by the American Council on Education.

Military and Veteran Education Benefits

The Veterans Services Office is part of the Office of Financial Aid. It was created to provide easy access to military and VA education, benefit information and services for our military and veteran students throughout the campus.

Services include:

  • VA and military education benefits counseling
  • Certification of enrollment to the VA
  • VA financial processing
  • Troubleshooting VA and military education benefit issues
  • Advocate for military and veterans on campus
  • Coordinate services with VA vocational rehabilitation counselors
  • Fax documents to the VA Regional Processing Office (RPO)
  • Assistance completing: Veterans Online Application (VONAPP), Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or other related applications

Military and Veteran Education Benefits

Champlain College is recognized as a military-friendly institution, partly because of the many military and veteran education benefit programs the College participates in. We are committed to the Yellow Ribbon Program (http://www.champlain.edu/admissions/undergraduate-admissions/financial-aid-undergraduate/military-and-veterans/yellow-ribbon-program), all the Veterans Affairs GI Bills

(www.gibill.va.gov), VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (www.vetsuccess.gov), Military Tuition Assistance and ROTC scholarships (http://www.goarmy.com/rotc.html) through our affiliation with the UVM Green Mountain Battalion.

Military Tuition Assistance

Military Tuition Assistance (MiTA) is funded by the Department of Defense and can pay up to 100% of tuition and fee expenses up to limits imposed by each branch of service. MiTA can be used in conjunction with Department of Veterans Affairs GI Bills, Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill) and Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill) through the “Top-Up” program to pay for tuition and fees. (http://www.champlain.edu/current-students/financial-aid-and-student-accounts/financial-aid/military-and-veterans.)

Name Change

Students who petition to change their name in the College’s Student Information System must present legal documentation of the name change in the form of a court document, driver’s license, Social Security card or other acceptable legal document to the College.

Non-Matriculated Students

With permission of the Registrar’s Office, and on a space available basis, students may enroll with non-degree status and take a maximum of 15 credits. To continue beyond 15 credits, a person is required to apply for admission to a degree program or receive approval from the Registrar to continue as a non-matriculated student under Champlain College Online. Please see Enrollment in Champlain College Online Courses - Undergraduate Policy.   Students who have matriculated with the College in degree programs must complete their program of study and are not permitted to enroll as non-matriculated students at any time.

Credit-based tuition and institutional policies for non-degree students are the same as those for degree-seeking students. Enrolling as a non-matriculated student does not guaratee access to all campus services. Students seeking matriculated status must be admitted to the College through the appropriate Champlain Admission Office. Academic achievement in courses taken as a non-degree student does not guarantee admission to the institution nor direct application to specific degree requirements.

Champlain College partners with the State of Vermont to allow Vermont high school students to engage in Dual Enrollment.  Any high school student that applies to take Dual Enrollment classes with Champlain College must provide:

  • Personal statement indicating why they want to take classes at Champlain College
  • High school transcripts
  • A recommendation letter from a guidance counselor or someone that the student has been working closely with in regards to their academics.  This letter cannot be from a family member.

Enrollment in Champlain College Online Courses - Undergraduate

(This policy does not apply to Summer Session)
Undergraduate online courses offered through the College’s Division of Continuing Professional Studies (CPS) are designed to address the specific educational needs of adult students. Students who are enrolled through the traditional Admission Office of the College are not permitted to register for online courses, with these exceptions:

  1. Students who are 23 or older
  2. Education majors who are in their final semester and are student teaching
  3. Students in internships at such a distance from the College that they are prevented from taking courses on campus, with permission of the Academic Dean of Continuing Professional Studies and the Dean of their professional program
  4. Students participating in a study abroad/Champlain Abroad semester, with permission of the Academic Dean of Continuing Professional Studies and the Dean of the student’s professional program

Exception requests will not be considered to accommodate more convenient course, commuting and/or employment schedules.

Posthumous Degree Policy

Champlain College may award an undergraduate degree posthumously in recognition of a student’s work and satisfactory progress toward the degree at the time of death.

An undergraduate degree may be awarded posthumously if:

  1. At the time of death, the student was enrolled in courses required for completion of a degree or nearing the completion of work required for award of the degree;
  2. The student was in good academic standing;
  3. A favorable recommendation for award of the degree is made by the Dean;
  4. The Provost approves the recommendation to award the degree.

Reenrollment and Readmission to Champlain College

A student who wishes to return to Champlain College as an undergraduate student, after any separation, must contact the Registrar’s Office and complete a re-entry form.

A student who left the College in good academic standing may reenroll after completing the re-entry form.

A student who has been academically dismissed or left the College while on academic probation has additional requirements. They must submit the re-entry form and provide the College with new evidence of their ability to succeed academically.  Readmission is neither automatic nor guaranteed, and is subject to availability in each program. Every candidate for readmission will be given full consideration. The Registrar’s Office will coordinate the readmission process with the student’s academic division.  

A student who has missed two or more consecutive semesters (not including summer) could fall under the catalog operating at the time of readmission, or could return to their existing degree requirements, or they could be required to take updated degree requirements, with the allowance of course substitutions.

Retaking Courses

Students may retake a course up to two times, for a total of three attempts, in order to pass the course or improve their grade in the course. Course withdrawals are counted as attempts. Students may not repeat the course simply to improve a grade if a more advanced course in the sequence has already been completed. Credit for the course will be granted only once (unless otherwise specified), and the highest grade received will be counted toward the CGPA. All grades received for a course will remain on the transcript, even though only the highest will be used in the calculation of the CGPA.

Technology Lab and Studio Usage

All Champlain College technology labs and studios have specific rules defining usage and a code of conduct. Some labs and studios may have additional protocols that must be followed based on usage. All Champlain College students using these facilities are required to follow this policy and accept its terms upon entry to the lab. This policy is posted publicly in each lab, and can be found under Student Resources and Policies in Canvas.

Failure to adhere to the usage terms and code of conduct may result in disciplinary action, which could include loss of access to campus technology labs.


  1. While a class is in session, students who are not members of that class may not use a technology lab or studio without permission from faculty.
  2. Classwork takes priority in campus technology labs and studios at all times. Students not engaged in class related work must yield their seat to those needing the computer/technology for homework if no others are available.
  3. No food is allowed in the technology labs and studios. Beverages are allowed in containers with closeable lids.
  4. All students using a technology lab or studio after 8:30PM and any time on weekends must have a working campus ID proving they have been authorized to use the space.
  5. No student shall admit another student to a campus technology lab or studio that does not have authorized access via his/her student ID.
  6. During unmonitored times, the door to the technology lab or studio must remain closed and locked.
  7. Students are not allowed to use the podium and/or projection system without consent from a faculty member.
  8. All students must wear headphones when listening to personal audio, or when working with audio that may disrupt the working environment for others.
  9. All students must be courteous to other users in the technology labs and studios. Please avoid loud disruptive behavior, and profanity.
  10. All students using a technology lab or studio are responsible for maintaining a safe, productive, and inclusive working environment for all.

Hardware and Software

  1. All students must adhere to the User Agreement License of all software and files used in campus technology labs.
  2. All students are responsible for logging off the system before leaving to protect their accounts.
  3. Students must have prior authorization from faculty or Information Systems staff in order to upload and/or install any software files, add anything to the program launcher, or remove or relocate any software or desktop shortcuts.
  4. Students must backup/save all of their files onto removable media or an external repository. Campus computers may not be used as storage devices.
  5. If problems arise, email champsupport@champlain.edu. Include the computer number, a detailed description of the problem, and the date and time the problem occurred. Do not attempt to correct technical or facility problems yourself.
  6. Do not remove any lab or studio equipment, hardware, software, or peripherals from the lab or studio without consent of faculty and Information Systems staff.


A transcript is an official copy of a student’s permanent record with the College and cannot be changed. Transcripts are issued by the Registrar’s Office only at the written request of the student or alumnus. Written requests can be made in person, via fax or via postal mail. Requests will be honored as quickly as possible in the order of application. However, during especially busy periods (Commencement, registration, etc.) there will be delays in processing, so transcripts should be requested well in advance. Five copies of a student’s transcript will be provided free of charge. A fee of $5 will be charged for each subsequent copy.

Official transcripts (those with the College seal) are sent only to a college or university, a state or federal agency, or an employer. Only under special circumstances will an official transcript be sent directly to the student. Unofficial transcripts for a student’s personal use do not bear the official seal of Champlain College and may be sent directly to students. Note: transcripts will be sent only when a student’s account is paid in full.

Transfer/Advanced Standing

All transfer applicants are required to submit official transcripts of their high school and college records. The acceptance of transfer credits is at the sole discretion of Champlain College.

A student who transfers from another college may be awarded transfer credit of up to one-third of the total credit hours toward a professional certificate, up to 30 hours toward an associate’s degree, and up to 75 hours toward a bachelor’s degree, provided that similar required or elective courses are offered at Champlain College. Judgment of similarity is based on criteria provided by the appropriate academic division Dean or Champlain College, and judgments are made at the College’s discretion. Credit hours for transferred courses are given full value, but grades are not transferred to a student’s permanent Champlain College record and do not become part of a student’s cumulative grade point average at Champlain College. In order to be considered for transfer credit, a course must be completed with a grade of “C” or higher. For more information, please contact the Registrar’s Office.

Transfer to Other Institutions

Credit for courses taken at Champlain College is generally transferable to other institutions of higher education. However, because the decision of whether to grant credit for any particular course is made by the receiving institution and not by Champlain College, students should consult with officials at the receiving institution concerning the transferability of credits earned at Champlain College.

Withdrawal from College - Involuntary

The College reserves the right to withdraw any student for academic, safety or disciplinary reasons.  Additionally, any student who stops attending all their classes may be withdrawn from the College with or without the student’s consent. If a student wishes to contest the College’s initiation of an involuntary withdrawal that is for more than a temporary period, the College will provide an appeal opportunity.  The appeals procedure is specified in the College’s Conduct Review process. Submission of an appeal must include grounds for the appeal and any supporting evidence and be submitted within 5 business days of receiving the withdrawal notification, unless the student was incapacitated. Students will receive a decision within 5 business days, or as soon as possible, after the appeal has been submitted.

Withdrawal from College - Voluntary

It is the student’s responsibility to officially withdraw from the College.  Any student withdrawing from the College begins the process by obtaining a College Withdrawal Form from the Student Affairs Office, the Registrar’s Office, the Office of Student Accounts, or the academic division offices.  The withdrawal date recorded on the student’s official College record will be determined by the Registrar when the withdrawal form is received. Students may withdraw from the College through the 11th week of the semester and receive grades of “W,” which are not calculated in the GPA. After the 11th week, College withdrawal is not permitted, unless a medical withdrawal is approved.  Please see the College’s Medical Withdrawal Policy.

Failure to formally withdraw may result in failing grades, reduction in financial aid and academic dismissal from the College. Deadlines for withdrawing without academic penalty are strictly enforced. Withdrawals after the end of the term are not permitted.

Withdrawal from College - Medical

Champlain College is committed to the safety and well-being of its community members and to the integrity of the living and learning environment. Our goal, therefore, is to maintain the health and safety of each individual in our community and to enable all enrolled students to participate fully in the life of the College.

Voluntary Medical Withdrawals

Students may take a voluntary medical withdrawal from their studies as a result of physical or mental health issues that compromise their ability to continue in an academic program.  A student may request a Medical Withdrawal in a given semester until the last day of classes for that semester. To request a Medical Withdrawal, students should follow the following process:

  • Schedule an appointment with Student Health & Wellness to obtain the Medical Withdrawal Form and review the process of medical withdrawal.
  • Complete the Medical Withdrawal Form including obtaining all necessary signatures
  • Provide clinical documentation to Champlain College Student Health & Wellness from a health care provider within 15 days of the date of withdrawal explaining the need for medical withdrawal. The medical withdrawal becomes official only after this documentation is reviewed and approved.

If the student chooses to take a voluntary Medical Withdrawal and is unable to process that request due to their medical condition, the Dean of Students or designee will assist with processing this request.

After meeting with Student Health & Wellness, the student will obtain the necessary signatures as indicated on the form. The student will be expected to submit the form to the Registrar’s Office and move out of their residential hall within 48 hours of meeting with Residential Life. After the student submits the Medical Withdrawal Form to the Registrar’s Office, the student will be withdrawn from the College. Final grades will be determined as follows:

  • Once the clinical documentation has been received and approved, the student will be notified of the approval and will receive grades of “W” for all classes in which they are/were enrolled. 
  • If the medical withdrawal is not approved and the date of withdrawal is prior to the last day to withdraw from the College as detailed in the College Catalog, the withdrawal will be processed as a standard college withdrawal and the student will receive grades of “W.”
  • If the medical withdrawal is not approved and the date of withdrawal is after the last day to withdraw from the College as detailed in the College Catalog, the student will receive final grades on their transcript.

The deadline to apply for a medical withdrawal is on the last day of classes of the semester. A student is not eligible to request medical withdrawal during final exams, which is after the last day of classes.   

A student’s eligibility for future semesters of federal financial aid may be impacted by a withdrawal from classes.  A student should meet with the Office of Financial Aid and the Student Accounts Office to discuss how a withdrawal may impact current and future semester charges and aid. The College will review each situation in order to determine if any tuition or housing refunds apply; financial aid awards may be adjusted, in accordance with federal regulations, based on the date of the withdrawal (this applies to involuntary Medical Withdrawals as well).  Any student who is granted a Medical Withdrawal will be asked to complete the Medical Clearance Re-entry Form as a requirement of returning to the College. Students will be notified of the steps that must be taken to re-enroll (see reenrollment section below).

Involuntary Medical Withdrawal

In instances in which a student’s mental or physical health poses a threat to others, becomes a barrier to appropriate or prescribed levels of self-care, or causes significant disruption to the activities of the College community, such students may be required to take an involuntary medical withdrawal from the College. When applicable, the student will be informed in writing of the actions that led to them being medically withdrawn and direct the student to the process for returning to campus. The student’s parent/guardian/emergency contact person may be notified that the student is in a potentially dangerous situation.

Any student placed by the College on an involuntary medical withdrawal will not be allowed to remain on campus. The timeline for departure will depend on the nature of the withdrawal, but will be no longer than 48 hours after meeting with Residential Life and submitting the medical withdrawal form to the Registrar’s Office. This includes living in residence halls, attending classes, and participating in Champlain sponsored events.

In circumstances when the student has not met direct threat/inpatient criteria, the Dean of Students or designee may, based upon observable/recorded behavior, still require a student to undergo an individualized psychological and/or physical assessment in order to make an informed decision regarding the student’s ability to meet the academic, social and emotional requirements of being a Champlain student. This evaluation is conducted by a member of the College’s clinical staff in consult with the student’s external clinical providers. The student will be required to sign a release that gives permission to the College’s designated clinical personnel to speak with the external evaluating health care provider and to allow for the release of any relevant medical reports as part of the assessment. If the student chooses not to engage in the process listed above, then the student will be subject to involuntary medical withdrawal and, if applicable, an immediate removal from the residence halls.

If, following the evaluation, a medical withdrawal is deemed unnecessary, the Dean of Students or designee may impose other conditions and/or requirements which the student would be required to complete as a condition of continued enrollment at the College.

In any instance in which an involuntary medical withdrawal is required, the Dean of Students or designee will provide written notice to the student, including the specific requirements that must be met as a condition of eligibility for re-enrollment, the timeline for initiating and completing the return process, as well as the procedure for appealing the decision. In most instances, the parent(s) or guardian(s) of the student will be included in this notice. Students are strongly encouraged to discuss the need for a voluntary or involuntary medical withdrawal with their parent(s) or guardian(s) prior to and/or during the leave process.

Appeal Procedure

Students have the right to appeal decisions made about voluntary and involuntary medical withdrawals. All appeals must be made in writing and sent to the Dean of Students and must specify the reasons for the appeal. An appeal of a decision must be received within two business days after the student has been informed of the decision.  Appeals may be heard by an appeal officer, or by an Appeal Committee consisting of faculty and/or staff.   The responsibility of the Appeals Committee or the officer hearing the appeal is to determine a fair course of action in light of evidence presented. When the appeal is complete, the matter shall be deemed fully resolved without further recourse.

Request for Re-enrollment

In both voluntary and involuntary medical withdrawals, the duration of the absence is typically no fewer than three to six full months, although the specific length of the leave will be based on the student’s individualized assessment.  The student will complete the Medical Clearance Re-entry Form (provided to the student at the time of medical withdrawal approval by Student Health & Wellness) and provide required documentation from the treating provider as a requirement of returning to the College.  This form and documentation will be reviewed and evaluated by the College’s Student Health and Wellness team, who will make a recommendation to the Dean of Students about the student’s readiness to return. Under extraordinary circumstances the college may require an additional assessment from a provider chosen by the college to ensure the student’s readiness. Students who are medically cleared to return to campus will still need to follow standard readmission policies and procedures, which are overseen by the Registrar’s Office.  Please note the due dates for medical re-entry forms.


Due date for Fall Return

Due date for Spring Return

Medical Clearance Reentry Form to Student Health & Wellness

  July 1

  November 1


Readmission Form to Registrar’s Office

  August 1

  December 1