May 18, 2024  
2012-2013 Continuing Professional Studies Academic Catalog 
2012-2013 Continuing Professional Studies Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Information and Policies

Academic Grievance Policy & Procedure

Student academic problems are to be handled initially between the student and the faculty member teaching the course involved. Students with academic grievances may use the Academic Grievance Policy and Procedure below.

Scope and Purpose

The purpose of this policy and procedure is to provide Champlain College students the opportunity for additional review of the facts pertaining to an academic decision affecting the student. Procedures are designed to provide objective and fair treatment (as provided specifically in the procedures) of both students and faculty and to resolve disputes in a timely manner.

An academic grievance is a claim that a specific academic decision or action that affects the student’s academic record or status has violated published policies or procedures or has been applied in a way that prejudicially treats the student on the basis of any non-academic status or characteristic. The assignment of grades is not generally considered a justifiable grievance under this policy unless the previously described factors can be shown to have adversely impacted that grade or evaluation. Only the Provost (chief academic officer) has the right to file an administrative grade change should a grievance involving a grade be accepted.


A.      Informal Resolution

1.        A student who believes that he or she has been aggrieved must first attempt to seek an informal resolution with the other party involved in the dispute, e.g., a grade dispute with the instructor

2.        All disputes that are not resolved directly between the parties involved are then brought to the appropriate Dean’s office, whereupon the Dean or his or her designee will seek to reach an informal resolution through mediation between the parties

3.        If the mediation at the Dean’s level fails, then the student may choose to initiate the formal resolution process within the timelines established by this procedure

B.       Formal Resolution

1.        Student grievances must be specified in writing to the Dean or his or her designee, along with supporting evidence that clearly identifies the cause of the grievance in relation to the definition of academic grievance included in this policy

2.        The second party to the dispute must also provide the Dean with a written account of the matter in dispute

3.        The Dean will convene an Academic Grievance Committee composed of three faculty members and two students from within the division, but exclusive of those associated with the student, department or program involved in the dispute. Members of this committee shall receive all submitted documents. In the Core Division, the committee should exclude faculty who are currently teaching the student, those who are currently partnering with the faculty member named in the grievance, and those who were teaching partners for the course in question

4.        The Academic Grievance Committee must set a date for convening a meeting to hear the case as expeditiously as possible within the timelines established by procedure

5.        Each party to the dispute must attend the hearing

6.        During the hearing, the student will make a presentation regarding his or her position, after which the second party will make a presentation regarding his or her position. Each side is permitted to bring one support person to the hearing with advance notice to the Dean

7.        At the conclusion of the hearing, members of the committee will reach a decision, by majority vote, as to how it believes the case should be resolved

8.        The committee’s decision will be sent to the Dean of the division in the form of a recommendation

9.        The Dean then informs the student in writing of the decision, which may be based upon the committee’s recommendation or upon the Dean’s modification of it. If the Dean recommends a grade change, the decision shall be sent to the Provost for implementation (as only the Provost has the authority to file anadministrative grade change should a grievance involving a grade be accepted).

10.     The Dean’s decision can be appealed to the Provost by the student or the instructor, but only on the grounds of procedural violation. If an appeal is filed, the Provost may sustain or deny the appeal, may remand the matter for reconsideration by the Dean and/or rehearing by the Academic Grievance Committee, or may take other steps as the Provost deems appropriate.


1.    The formal appeals process must be initiated by submitting written notification to the Dean no later than the midpoint of the semester following the decision under dispute

2.    The Dean must convene the Academic Grievance Committee within ten academic working days of receipt of the grievance, or as soon as practicable thereafter given the availability of Committee members

3.    The Academic Grievance Committee must hold the hearing and communicate its recommendation to the Dean within 15 academic working days of receipt of the grievance, or as soon as practicable thereafter given the availability of Committee members

4.    The Dean must communicate the decision to the student within ten academic working days of receipt of the Academic Grievance Committee’s recommendation

5.    If the student or instructor wishes to appeal on procedural grounds to the Provost, notification must be made in writing within five academic working days of the Dean’s written notification of decision

6.        The grievance shall be resolved no later than the last day of final examinations in the semester following the decision under dispute

Academic Honors and Awards

Trustee Scholar: A designation awarded to students who attend Champlain College full-time and maintain a 4.0 average for two consecutive semesters.

President’s List: A designation awarded to students who attend Champlain College full-time and achieve a semester average of 4.0.

Dean’s List: A designation awarded to students who attend Champlain College full-time and achieve a semester average of 3.50 or better.

Graduation Honors: Cum laude distinctions are given to graduating undergraduate students with the following cumulative grade point averages:

Summa Cum Laude: 3.80 average
Magna Cum Laude: 3.65 average
Cum Laude: 3.50 average

Divisional Honors: Divisional honors are awarded to the student in each division with the highest cumulative grade point average.

Academic Honesty


In addition to skills and knowledge, Champlain College aims to teach students appropriate ethical and professional standards of conduct. The Academic Honesty Policy exists to inform students and faculty of their obligations in upholding the highest standards of professional and ethical integrity. All student academic work is subject to the Academic Honesty Policy.

It is the student’s responsibility to understand and comply with College-wide policy as well as any assigned work-including examinations, tests, quizzes, term papers, reports, themes and other exercises-every student shall conform to a strict standard of academic honesty.

Any attempt to deceive a faculty member or to help another student to do so will be considered a violation of this standard.

Instructor’s Intended Purpose

The student’s work must match the instructor’s intended purpose for an assignment.

While the instructor will establish the intent of an assignment, each student must clarify outstanding questions of that intent for a given assignment. It is the responsibility of the student to understand and follow the intent articulated by the instructor. For example:

  • If an assignment is intended to be strictly confined to work generated solely by the student, e.g. a research paper or individual presentation, then expropriation presented as the student’s own work is a violation of the Academic Honesty Policy.
  • The student is expected to follow accepted academic protocol, as defined by the instructor, in citation referencing.
  • If an assignment is intended for the student to carry out an original empirical study, then falsification or fabrication of data or presentation of data collected by someone else is a violation of the Academic Honesty Policy.
  • If an assignment is intended to involve the participation of multiple students, the student will be expected to follow the parameters established by the instructor regarding individual versus group contributions to any work products. It is the responsibility of each student in the group to understand and follow the intent articulated by the instructor. Work which strays from that intent or is done by another individual or individuals in the group and claimed as a particular student’s own work or contribution to group work is a violation of the Academic Honesty Policy.
  • If an assignment consists of building upon or mimicking a work, then the student will be expected to follow the parameters established by the instructor for that assignment. While it is expected that the student will clearly isolate the work he or she did from what already existed, this is up to the discretion of the instructor.
  • If an assignment consists of a pastiche of other copyrighted works, where the student exercises their fair-use rights, the instructor may allow the student to use expropriated and appropriated work for credit.
  • If an assignment is to participate in an online discussion, allowing someone else to log in to your account and to post to the discussion is a violation of the Academic Honesty Policy.

Unauthorized Assistance

The student may not give or get any unauthorized assistance in the preparation of any work. Group-work contexts often need extra clarification. For example, sharing work without explicit authorization to do so is a violation of the Academic Honesty Policy. Students in doubt about the instructor’s expectations should seek clarification, or assume that the work must be completed individually.


The student must clearly establish authorship of a work. Referenced work must be clearly documented, cited, and attributed, regardless of media or distribution. Adequate documentation must articulate the resources, and even sources of inspiration, directly employed in the creation of a work. Even in the case of work licensed as public domain or Copyleft, (See: both Faculty and the student must provide attribution of that work in order to uphold the standards of intent and authorship. Professional and Academic practice provides guidance about how to properly cite, reference, and attribute the intellectual property of others. For general examples, see Section 1.6.


Online submission of, or placing one’s name on, an exam, assignment, or any course document is a statement of academic honor that the student has not received or given inappropriate assistance in completing it and that the student has complied with the Academic Honesty Policy in that work.


In essence, the Academic Honesty Policy poses the following questions to all students:

  • Who authored the work?
  • Has the student given or accepted unauthorized assistance in the preparation of the work?
  • Has the student successfully isolated his or her own authorship in the work?
  • Has the student clearly documented his or her own authorship?
  • Has the student met the instructor’s intended purpose for the assignment?

On each assignment, students are expected to isolate their authorship. This means that the Faculty member can precisely identify the student’s work. Documentation should embrace direct references, indirect references and background resources as required by the instructor. The Academic Honesty Policy requires the student to declare and document authorship.


Any violation of the Academic Honesty Policy, as determined by the instructor, will result in sanctions. The instructor may impose a sanction on the student that varies depending upon the instructor’s evaluation of the nature and gravity of the offense. Possible sanctions include but are not limited to, the following:

  1. Requiring the student to redo the assignment;
  2. Requiring the student to complete another assignment;
  3. Assigning a grade of zero to the assignment;
  4. Assigning a final grade of “F” for the course. 

A student may appeal these decisions according to the Academic Grievance Procedure. This policy is not exclusive, and in addition to course-based penalties, students may be subject to additional sanctions under the College’s Conduct Review Process for conduct that violates both this policy and the standard described in section 2 of the College’s Standard of Conduct. The College may choose to use one, either or both processes to address such conduct, at its discretion.

Academic Probation and Academic Dismissal

The College will place on probation any matriculated student who, after attempting 12 or more credits, fails to achieve either a cumulative GPA (CGPA) of 2.0 or a term GPA of 2.0. The College may dismiss any matriculated student who fails to achieve a CGPA of 1.80 after attempting 12 credits or who fails to achieve a CGPA of 2.0 after attempting 30 credits.

A student who is eligible for dismissal will receive a dismissal letter from his or her program Dean. Students are permitted to appeal the dismissal in writing within the time limit stated in the letter.

Academically dismissed students wishing to take courses as non-degree students may do so only with permission. Traditional students must have the permission of their program Dean, and Continuing Professional Studies (CPS) students must have the permission of the Dean of CPS.

Academic Renewal

Under certain circumstances, unsatisfactory course grades may be coded so that they do not adversely impact the student’s CGPA. The following conditions apply to the Academic Renewal policy as a whole:

  1. Academic Renewal will be granted only once
  2. All courses and grades will appear on the student’s transcript with the addition of a code indicating Academic Renewal where appropriate
  3. Academic Renewal will not be used to alter a student’s record for financial aid qualifications, scholarships or other purposes not outlined below
  4. Only the Advising and Registration Center staff, in consultation with division Deans, as appropriate, will make the change to the student’s record

Students who are returning to Champlain may be eligible to have course grades eliminated from their CGPA calculation using the following criteria:

  1. The student has not attended Champlain College during the past three years and has been readmitted to a degree program
  2. All courses in which a student earned less than a “C-” will no longer be used to calculate either the student’s overall CGPA or the credits earned toward graduation

Current students who have chosen to change majors may be eligible to have course grades eliminated from their CGPA calculation. The following conditions must apply:

  1. The student must request that Academic Renewal be applied at the time of the change of major. (Changing from an associate’s program to a bachelor’s program does not constitute a change of major.)
  2. The student must retain grades from any course in which they earned a “C-” or better
  3. The student must retain any course or specific elective type that is required in the new major (exclusive of technical and business focus electives)
  4. All courses not retained in the above points 2 and 3 will no longer be used in the calculation of the student’s overall CGPA or graduation credits
  5. The student must stay enrolled in the new major. If the student elects to change back to the original major, the Academic Renewal will be reversed


Students are expected to be present in all their classes. Not doing so may jeopardize their academic success. If illness, accident or similar circumstances make it impossible for a student to be present in classes, the student should notify the appropriate faculty member(s). Instructors provide each student with a written class-attendance policy approved by the appropriate division Dean at the beginning of the semester. A student’s absence does not result in an automatic withdrawal from a course. Students must officially withdraw using the Voluntary Course Withdrawal policy described below.

Audit Policy

The College permits the auditing of courses, at a reduced rate, for individuals who wish to participate in courses simply for their own enrichment. Students auditing a course may attend all class sessions and participate in class discussions. Academic work will be neither reviewed nor graded by the faculty. No credit will be issued for any course taken as an audit. Graduate courses, Core courses, and other courses designated by academic divisions may not be taken as audits. Audits will be permitted only on a space-available basis. Audit registration begins one week prior to the start of the course. A student may change a course from audit to credit or credit to audit only during the first 10 days of the semester. Once courses have begun, no refunds are issued for credit-to-audit changes. Additional charges will be applied for changes from audit to credit.

Certificate Requirements

To be eligible for a professional certificate, you must meet the following requirements:

  1. Satisfactorily complete all requirements for the certificate selected
  2. Earn at least two-thirds of the certificate’s credits at Champlain College
  3. Achieve an overall cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 in courses completed at Champlain College. Students who are enrolled in a degree program of study by working with their student services advisor. Because of limited course offerings and course sequencing, students pursuing both a certificate program and a degree program are not guaranteed to complete both on the same timeline.

Change of Major

Requests for change of major for students in Continuing Professional Studies will be reviewed by their academic advisor. Final approval of change of major requests rests with the CPS Dean’s Office.

Changes in Courses or Schedules

Students enrolled through the Division of Continuing Professional Studies should note that full- or part-time status is determined by the total number of credits enrolled in a 15-week semester, inclusive of the accelerated terms. Schedule changes, especially from one accelerated term to another, may impact your full- or part-time status and result in financial ramifications. Please consult with your student advisor before adjusting your schedule.

Classroom Behavior

Each instructor is responsible for maintaining an in-person and/or online classroom environment that facilitates effective teaching, learning and safety. The classroom environment should be such that it prepares students for behavior that is expected in the professional and corporate environments in which they are preparing to live and work.

Inappropriate classroom conduct which disrupts in-person or online classroom or laboratory activities is a violation of the Champlain College Standard of Conduct. Examples of disruptive conduct include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Tardiness, leaving and returning during class, or leaving class early without permission from the professor;
  • Any unauthorized use of electronic devices such as cellular phones, pagers and music devices in the classroom or laboratory;
  • Personal conversations during class;
  • Abusive language or epithets directed towards other persons;
  • Posting inappropriate online posts;
  • Refusing to comply with the directions of the instructor.

Disruptive and disrespectful behavior on the part of any student will not be tolerated. The instructor has the responsibility to determine appropriate standards of behavior in the class as long as the requirement does not infringe upon the individual’s rights. Science laboratory classrooms that may introduce a safety hazard to the student under certain circumstances may inherently require strict regulation of safety protocol in addition to normal rules of behavior.

An instructor may require that a student leave the classroom or laboratory – in-person or online space – if the student is disruptive and does not heed a verbal or written first warning. In an online class, an instructor may use their discretion to delete inappropriate posts. Return of the student to the classroom or laboratory may require a written pledge by the student to abide by the rules of expected classroom decorum or safety.

Continued inappropriate conduct or safety violations will be grounds for expulsion from the course in question for the remainder of the semester. Should a faculty member determine that a disruptive student should be dismissed from a class for the remainder of the semester with a failing grade, there shall be a written statement to the student, citing the student’s right of appeal under the standard grade change procedure or the Academic Grievance Procedure, and the student’s Student Advisor. Further action may also be taken by the Conduct Review Board under the College’s Conduct Review process (see the Student Handbook).

Commencement Ceremony – May Participation

Bachelor’s and associate’s degree candidates who have completed all of their degree requirements will receive their diplomas and have any appropriate academic honors announced at the Commencement ceremony. Bachelor’s degree students within 7 credits of meeting all requirements and associate’s degree students within 4 credits of meeting all requirements are eligible to participate as non-graduating participants if they wish. All participating undergraduates must also have an overall cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher. It should be noted that whereas both graduates and non-graduating participants are listed by name and hometown in the graduation program, non-graduating participants are ineligible to receive their diploma, to have academic honors designated in the program, to have academic honors announced during the event, or to have their name listed in local media until they have successfully completed their remaining academic requirements.

Course Load and Credit Hours

Normally, one unit of credit is based on 15 hours of classroom instruction and 30 hours of homework per semester. To be considered full-time, a student must enroll in courses totaling at least 12 credit hours per 15-week semester. Students enrolled through the Division of Continuing Professional Studies whose cumulative credit load for the 15-week semester totals at least 12 credits, even though those credits may be divided between two seven-week terms, and regardless of when those credits are added to the term, are considered full-time.

Students enrolled through the Division of Continuing Professional Studies who wish to take more than nine (9) credit hours in an online accelerated term and have a CGPA higher than 3.0 should consult with the CPS Dean’s Office for permission. Students with a CGPA of less than 3.0, or with a desired number of credits greater than twenty (20), must obtain written permission of the CPS Dean’s Office. Students taking more than 33 credit hours during any academic year will be charged for the extra credit hours.

Course Waivers and Course Substitutions

 CPS students seeking substitutions for required courses must work with their student services advisor to determine if a substitution request is appropriate. Each course substitution must ultimately be authorized by the academic dean of the student’s professional program. Upon approval of substitution, the student’s advisor will make the appropriate changes to the student’s record.

CPS offers examinations for many courses which can result in transfer credit for a course requirement. There is also the option to go through an assessment of prior learning process which will award course credit for life and professional experience. Additional information can be obtained from student services advisors about each of these options.

Course Withdrawal – Involuntary

In addition to the voluntary course withdrawals, there are very rare instances in which a student may be involuntarily withdrawn by the instructor. These include, but are not limited to, violations of the College’s Standard of Conduct, disciplinary problems, or damaging the College’s relationships with internships or project sites. A grade of “W,” “WP,” or “WF” is recorded, as determined by the date of withdrawal and the student’s academic status at the time, or by the circumstances of the withdrawal.

Course Withdrawal – Voluntary

It is the student’s responsibility to officially withdraw from a course. Students wishing to withdraw must alert their student services advisor. The withdrawal becomes effective as of that date. All notification by the student can be done via email. Failure to formally withdraw may result in failing grades, reduction in financial aid and academic dismissal from the College. Deadlines for withdrawing without academic penalty are strictly enforced. Please contact your student services advisor for exact dates.

When students withdraw without academic penalty, a grade of “W: Withdrawn” will be recorded on the transcript. Students continue to have the opportunity to withdraw prior to the last day of classes. In such cases, students will receive either a “WF: Withdrawn Failing” or a “WP: Withdrawn Passing,” as determined by the student’s grade at the time of the withdrawal. A “WP” has no effect on the student’s GPA. The grade of “WF” is calculated as an “F,” however, and thus lowers the GPA. Therefore, the timing of when a student submits the required course withdrawal paperwork is vital. Please refer to the chart below for details. For additional information, contact the Advising & Registration Center.

Course Withdrawal without Academic Penalty

15-week course  withdraw by middle of 9th week
12-week course  withdraw by end of 6th week
10-week course  withdraw by end of 5th week
7-week course  withdraw by middle of 4th week
5-week course  withdraw by middle of 3rd week

Credit by Exam

Champlain accepts credit from the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and the College Board Advanced Placement (AP) tests. Minimum scores on the CLEP exam will follow the guidelines established by the College Board and the American Council on Education. An Advanced Placement test score of 4 is required for consideration. In addition, the following policies apply to credits awarded by exam:

  1. Credits are considered external and cannot be applied toward the credit minimum to be taken at Champlain College.
  2. The student is responsible for having test scores forwarded to Champlain College.
  3. CLEP and AP credit is considered introductory credit in each academic area. Consequently, credit will not ordinarily be granted in an academic area in which the student is earning or has already earned credit on a more advanced level.
  4. Substitution of credits earned by exam for degree requirements is allowed at the discretion of the College.
  5. Division Deans will determine the appropriate exam and amount of credit (3 or 6 credits) for each exam.
  6. Credit by institutional exam is also available through the Division of Continuing Professional Studies to those students who are matriculated in a program. Information about the availability of institutional examinations is available from CPS student services advisors.

Credit for Work Experience

Credit for work experience is also available to CPS students through a variety of test-out options. Students interested in seeking credit for work experience should work with their appropriate student services advisor.

Cross-Registration Agreements

All arrangements to take courses at any institutions with cross-registration agreements require permission of the Dean of a student’s professional program.

Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA)

A student’s CGPA is calculated by multiplying the credit hours for each course by the grade point per credit hour of that course as determined by the final grade. For example, a 3-credit-hour course in which a student receives a “B” (3.0 grade points per credit hour) will equal 9.0 grade points for that course. The cumulative grade point average will then equal the total grade points divided by the total number of credit hours. Grades earned in transferred courses are not used in CGPA calculations.

Curriculum Changes

The College reserves the right to adjust the curriculum and course content whenever such adjustments are academically appropriate and approved by the administration. The curriculum requirements in effect during the catalog year in which the student enters will remain in effect for that student unless the student wishes to pursue a more recent set of requirements.

Degree Requirements – Associate’s

To be eligible for the associate’s degree, you must be either a student in the College’s Division of Continuing Professional Studies or a Radiography student and meet the following requirements:

  1. Earn at least 60 credit hours, 30 of which must be earned at Champlain College
  2. Achieve an overall cumulative grade point average  of at least 2.0 in courses completed at Champlain College
  3. Apply for graduation by completing an application for graduation form by November 1 for May graduates, May 1 for August graduates or August 1 for December graduates. Applications are available on the College Web site, in the Advising and Registration Center or in the Student Life Office.

Degree Requirements - Bachelor’s

To be eligible for a bachelor’s degree from Champlain College, you must meet the following requirements:

  1. Matriculate into a Champlain College baccalaureate major and satisfactorily complete all its specific requirements
  2. Earn at least 120 credit hours, 45 of which must be earned at Champlain College. In addition, of the last 60 credits required for the bachelor’s degree, 30 must be earned at Champlain College. Individual programs may require specific courses to be completed here as described in the Transfer/Advanced Standing section that follows
  3. Achieve an overall cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of at least 2.0 in courses completed at Champlain College
  4. Traditional undergraduate students must satisfactorily complete all LEAD requirements
  5. Apply for graduation by submitting an application for graduation form by November 1 for May graduates, May 1 for August graduates and August 1 for December graduates. Application forms are available on the College Web site, in the Advising and Registration Center or in the Student Life Office.

Double Majors

Pursuing a double major requires careful planning and sequencing of courses; the effort will very likely require additional time to complete. Students who wish to pursue a double major must first consult with the Dean of their professional program to obtain approval. They must fulfill all the requirements of both programs, and there must be a difference of at least 24 credits between the two programs. Upon completion, one bachelor’s degree will be granted, and the transcript will list both majors.

Combined Bachelors-Masters (CBM) Programs

Program Definition

Selected Champlain College graduate programs offer a Combined Bachelors-Masters Program (CBM) as described in Champlain College’s course catalog. This program option is designed for exceptional undergraduate students to begin earning up to twelve graduate level credits while completing their undergraduate degree at Champlain.

Student Status

Students who are accepted into a CBM Program must continue to be enrolled as undergraduate students until the completion of their Bachelor’s degree. Upon completion of the Bachelor’s degree, participating students are then formally matriculated into their chosen graduate program. All graduate courses taken as part of an approved CBM program will be transferred into the selected graduate program at that time.


  • The application form for a CBM Program should be completed no less than 4 months before the anticipated enrollment in the student’s first graduate course.
  • Students applying for admission into a CBM program should show exceptional academic performance in their undergraduate studies. Typically, students should have a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.3 and a GPA of at least 3.5 in their field of study.
  • All applicants will be personally interviewed (face-to-face or via synchronous technology) by both their undergraduate program advisor AND the director of the program to which they are applying.
  • Depending on the specific CBM Program, an application may require additional materials and/or documents such as: letter(s) of recommendation, portfolio of previous work, transcript(s) from previous college(s), a written statement of purpose or standardized graduate entrance examinations (GRE, GMAT, LSAT etc).
  • Applicants to all CBM programs will be notified of their acceptance within four weeks of their completed application.

Program Participation

  • Once accepted into a CBM Program students are responsible for following all program requirements and guidelines including any specific directions given by director of their CBM graduate program.
  • In order to maintain active status in a CBM Program, students must meet academic standards that include:
    1. A minimum term CGPA of 3.0 in all undergraduate courses which have been attempted.
    2. A minimum term CGPA of 3.0 in all graduate courses which have been attempted.
      Note: Specific CBM Program standards may vary and, when established, these standards take precedence over college standards above.
  • Should a student fail to meet the academic requirements of the CBM program, the graduate program director will determine whether that student will be withdrawn from the CBM Program or placed on academic probation for continued participation in the CBM Program. Probationary status would allow continuation in the program subject to specific academic performance conditions.

Course Credit

  • Graduate courses taken while a student is an undergraduate and which are taken as part of an approved CBM program may “double count” by using those courses to fulfill undergraduate course requirements and, upon graduation, transferring those graduate courses into the designated CBM graduate program.
  • Graduate courses attempted while a student is an undergraduate as part of an approved CBM program must receive a grade of “C” or better in order to transfer into the designated graduate program. Graduate courses taken as part of the CBM Program and receiving a grade of below “C” must be repeated.
  • Undergraduate courses, unless supplemented with specific activities that increase the academic rigor to graduate level, may not be used to waive graduate program requirements as part of a CBM/4+1 Program.
  • Unless (1) otherwise stated in program requirements of a specific CBM Program or (2) exercised with permission of a student’s undergraduate and CBM program advisors, a maximum of twelve credit hours may be used (“double counted”) for both undergraduate and graduate credit.
  • Students may complete courses beyond the twelve credit hours of graduate courses eligible for “double counting” but such credits may not be used for credit in both the undergraduate and graduate programs. Using such courses for graduate credit, once matriculated into the selected graduate program, is acceptable.
  • Students enrolled in any CBM program must follow their personal educational plan as outlined collaboratively by their CBM Program Director and undergraduate program advisor. Failure to follow the prescribed educational plan may result in dismissal from the CBM program.
  • Students may withdraw from their CBM Program at any time.

Students who withdraw or are dismissed from their CBM Program will not formally receive graduate credit for graduate courses taken as part of their undergraduate program requirements. While courses will be recognized internally by Champlain as having met graduate level requirements the transfer of those credits to any other institution is at the discretion of the receiving institution.


All students are given a e-mail address. Students who live on campus are given a mailbox in Cushing Hall. These channels are used for all official Champlain College correspondence. It is our expectation that students will receive and send information through these channels.

Public Telephones: Public telephones are located in classrooms and common areas in main campus residence halls.

Message Delivery: Except in extreme emergencies, the College will not be responsible for delivering telephone messages to students.

Grade Changes

Student requests for grade changes must be submitted to the faculty no later than the last day of exams one semester or term after the semester in which the grade was earned. All grade changes must be approved by the Dean responsible for the course.

Grades – Midsemester

In conjunction with frequent evaluations, mid-semester grades help students understand their level of progress. Faculty members submit mid-semester grades for each student to the Advising and Registration Center for all 15-week courses. These grades are internal and do not appear on student transcripts.

Grade Achievement Grade Equivalent Standard
S (satisfactory) C- or better A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-
U (unsatisfactory) Passing but D+, D, D not satisfactory
F (failing) Not passing F

Grades – Semester

At the end of each semester, faculty members submit to the registrar a final grade for each student. 

 Grade Range   Achievement Standard Grade Points per Credit Hour
 A (93+) Outstanding 4.00
 A- (90-92) Outstanding 3.67
 B+ (87-89) High quality 3.33
 B (83-86) High quality 3.00
 B- (80-82) High quality 2.67
 C+ (77-79) Acceptable 2.33
 C (73-76) Acceptable 2.00
 C- (70-72) Acceptable 1.67
 D+ (67-69) Passing* 1.33
 D (63-66) Passing* 1.00
 D- (60-62) Passing* 0.67
 F (Below 60) Failing 0.00
 NP   No Pass 0.00
 W Withdrawn before the ninth week of a traditional-length course   Not computed
 WF Withdrawn/failing after the middle of the ninth week of a traditional- length course   0.0
 WP Withdrawn/passing after the Middle of the ninth week of a traditional-length course   Not computed
 I    Incomplete Not computed
AU    Audit No grade or credit earned

*There may be exceptions in certain programs. These exceptions are detailed in the program web pages.

Immunzation Policy

Vermont state law requires that all full-time and part-time students born after 1956 who are enrolled in post-secondary schools are required to have all of the following immunizations. Proof of these immunizations must be kept on file in the Health Services Office.

  • Tdap or Ts (1Tdap/Td booster within the last 10 years)
  • MMR (2 doses or positive titers, minimum of four weeks between doses, first dose give after 1st birthday)
  • Meningococcal (One dose for the students living in campus-based housing)
  • Varicella (2 doses of varicella vaccine OR history of disease OR positive titer; minimum of 4 weeks between doses if age 13 or older, 12 weeks for under age 13)
  • Hepatitis B (3 doses or positive titer; minimum of 4 weeks between doses 1 and 2, minimum of 8 weeks between doses 2 and 3. The 3rd dose must be 16 weeks from the 1st dose.)
  • Tuberculosis Test/PPD within one year of admission (Mandatory for all Radiography majors)

Failure to provide proof of these immunizations will result in students being unable to register for classes, and residential students will not be assigned a room.


Incomplete Work

At the discretion of the instructor, an interim grade of incomplete may be assigned for a course in which the student has met the following criteria:

  1. Been unable to complete course requirements before the end of the term because of illness or serious circumstance beyond the student’s control
  2. Completed a major portion of the course with a passing grade
  3. Obtained agreement from the instructor and CPS Dean’s Office and arranged for resolution of the incomplete grade

The following procedures apply:

  1. The request must be made by, or on behalf of, the student before the last day of final exam week
  2. If an incomplete is granted, the faculty member will outline the remaining coursework and the timeline for completion, which cannot be later than the end of the eighth week after the last day of final exams for a 15-week course and the end of the fourth week, after the last day of final exams for a 7-week course. 
  3. When the required work is complete, the earned grade will permanently replace the “I” grade on the transcript. If the work is not completed within the established time frame, a grade of “F” will appear on the student’s record
  4. The student is responsible for making sure that the faculty member receives all required coursework according to the established timeline

Independent Study

Independent study is defined as a course of study designed by a student to meet specific academic needs, taken outside regular classroom hours and supervised by one or more cooperating instructors. Regular college credit is given, and regular tuition is charged.
An independent study course may be undertaken under the following conditions:

  1. Elective credits only will be given, with the number of credits (not to exceed 3) determined by the appropriate division Dean.
  2. The student must propose the course to the supervising instructor at least five weeks prior to the beginning of the semester in which the work will be completed.
  3. The student and faculty member will jointly develop a formal proposal, which must include:
    1. Reason(s) for requesting independent study in lieu of existing elective course(s)
    2. Course title and description
    3. Goals to be achieved
    4. Method of measuring achievement
    5. Names of instructors who have agreed to supervise
    6. Method of evaluation to be used
    7. Number of credits to be granted
    8. Approximate number of hours per week to be spent on the project
  4. An instructor who has been asked to supervise such a study project must submit the project for approval to the division Dean and the Provost’s Office not later than three weeks prior to the beginning of the semester. At least five days prior to the beginning of the semester, the division Dean must notify the instructor, the student, the Provost and the Advising and Registration Center, in writing, of his or her approval or reasons for rejection. A student who fails to complete an independent study course within a semester may be granted a period of time in which to finish comparable to that extended to those taking traditional courses.

Military Credit

Champlain College grants credit for military education following the guidelines issued by the American Council on Education.

Non-matriculated Students

Students may enroll with non-degree status and take a maximum of 18 credits. Continuing beyond 18 credits requires permission from the Dean of Continuing Professional Studies or application for admission to a professional certificate or degree program. Credit-based tuition and institutional policies for non-degree students are the same as those for degree-seeking students. Students seeking matriculated status must be admitted to the College through the appropriate Champlain Admission Office. Academic achievement in courses taken as a non-degree student does not guarantee admission to the institution.

Reenrollment and Readmission to Champlain College

Students who have missed more than two consecutive semesters (not including summer) are required to submit a formal application for readmission. Students in good standing who have missed two or fewer consecutive semesters (not including summer) may reenroll by contacting their academic advisor. With the approval of both the program director and the Dean, a student may withdraw from the program for up to one year and then reenroll without needing to reapply to the College. In such circumstances, the student’s academic requirements are those required for the original catalog year under which the student began his or her studies.

Retaking Courses

Students may retake a course up to two times, for a total of three attempts, in order to pass the course or improve their grade in the course. Course withdrawals are counted as attempts. Students may not repeat the course simply to improve a grade if a more advanced course in the sequence has already been completed. Credit for the course will be granted only once (unless otherwise specified), and the highest grade received will be counted toward the CGPA. All grades received for a course will remain on the transcript, even though only the highest will be used in the calculation of the CGPA.


A transcript is an official copy of a student’s permanent record with the College and cannot be changed. Transcripts are issued by the Advising and Registration Center only at the written request of the student or alumnus. Written requests can be made in person, via fax or via postal mail. Requests will be honored as quickly as possible in the order of application. However, during especially busy periods (Commencement, registration, etc.) there will be delays in processing, so transcripts should be requested well in advance. Five copies of a student’s transcript will be provided free of charge. A fee of $5 will be charged for each subsequent copy.

Transcripts – Official

(Those with the College seal)
Official transcripts are sent only to a college or university, a state or federal agency, or an employer. Only under special circumstances will an official transcript be sent directly to the student. Unofficial transcripts for a student’s personal use do not bear the official seal of Champlain College and may be sent directly to students. Note: transcripts will be sent only when a student’s account is paid in full.

Transfer/Advanced Standing

All transfer applicants are required to submit official transcripts of their high school and college records. The acceptance of transfer credits is at the sole discretion of Champlain College.

A student who transfers from another college may be awarded transfer credit of up to one-third of the total credit hours toward a professional certificate, up to 30 hours toward an associate’s degree, and up to 90 hours toward a bachelor’s degree, provided that similar required or elective courses are offered at Champlain College. Students in bachelor degree programs must complete 15 hours of 300-level or higher courses in the major. Judgment of similarity is based on criteria provided by the appropriate academic division Dean or Champlain College, and judgments are made at the College’s discretion. Credit hours for transferred courses are given full value, but grades are not transferred to a student’s permanent Champlain College record and do not become part of a student’s cumulative grade point average at Champlain College. In order to be considered for transfer credit, a course must be completed with a grade of “C” or higher.

Transfer to Other Institutions

Credit for courses taken at Champlain College is generally transferable to other institutions of higher education. However, because the decision of whether to grant credit for any particular course is made by the receiving institution and not by Champlain College, students should consult with officials at the receiving institution concerning the transferability of credits earned at Champlain College.

Withdrawal from College

Any student withdrawing from the College begins that process by working with a student services advisor. As part of the withdrawal process, the student will receive a statement setting forth the financial implications of his or her withdrawal. The withdrawal date recorded on the student’s official College record will be determined by the registrar when the withdrawal form is completed. It is the student’s responsibility to officially withdraw from the College. A student who withdraws from the College without following this procedure jeopardizes his or her opportunity to receive any refund.

The College reserves the right to withdraw any student for academic, safety or disciplinary reasons. Any student who stops attending all his or her classes may be withdrawn from the College with or without the student’s consent. If a student wishes to contest the College’s initiation of an involuntary withdrawal that is for more than a temporary period, the College will provide a hearing and appeal opportunity to the student under the procedures specified in the College’s Conduct Review process. The student should inform the administrative office initiating the withdrawal of his or her intent to contest such initiation within 5 working days of the student’s receiving notice of same. The College will consider waiver of this deadline in cases where the student was incapacitated; requests for waiver should be submitted to the same administrative office.

Library Services

The Champlain College library is housed in the Robert E. & Holly D. Miller Information Commons and provides information services to support the research and instructional needs of the Champlain College community. The library provides books, periodicals, online journals, e-books and audiovisual materials, as well as laptop computers that students may use within the Miller Information Commons. In addition to these resources, the library staff provides reference services, interlibrary loan services and instruction sessions for students and faculty. The Information Commons houses computing labs as well as quiet study rooms for individual or group student use.

The library is open over 100 hours per week during the school year. Reference librarians are available to assist students during most open hours. Regular semester hours are:

Monday–Thursday  7:30 a.m.–midnight
Friday  7:30 a.m.–10:00 p.m.
Saturday  10:00 a.m.–10:00 p.m.
Sunday  10:00 a.m.–midnight

Hours for holidays and intersession periods are posted on the library Website before each break.

All library patrons must present a current official Champlain College ID card at the circulation desk in order to borrow materials or when asked by a staff member. Patrons are responsible for returning or renewing all items charged to their account on or before the date on which they are due. Patrons with overdue items will be unable to check out additional items and will be billed. The library will make reasonable efforts to contact patrons with overdue materials; however, it is the responsibility of the patron to know when materials are due and to return them promptly. The full list of library policies and procedures, as well as contact information for library staff, may be found on the library Web site:

Counseling Center and Accommodations Services

Confidential counseling services are available for students who are dealing with personal issues, mental health issues or academic concerns. Counselors at the Counseling Center and Accommodations Services can help students with concerns including, but not limited to, depression, anxiety, adjustment issues, alcohol and drug use, physical or sexual abuse, relationship concerns, stress management, sexuality, and crisis management. The counselors meet with students individually and at times in groups (with the consent of all participants.)

The counselors can help students manage crises in a number of ways. A counselor can accompany a student to the emergency department at the hospital in the case of a psychological emergency, or in the case of a sexual or physical assault, to the police department or family court as needed. The counselors can assist students in making contact with appropriate campus officials and community agencies and resources as necessary.

Through the services of our psychiatric nurse practitioner, students with more serious mental health needs can be medically evaluated and treated. The psychiatric nurse practitioner works closely with the counselors, and is skilled at diagnosing and treating mental health issues, including prescribing medication when indicated.

Counselors will make referrals to community resources when appropriate. Prevention and education are important components of the Counseling Center and Accommodations Services. Programming is offered throughout the year.

Counselors can also provide follow-up counseling in the aftermath of a personal crisis. Someone from the counseling staff is available 24 hours a day. The counselor on call can be reached through the College’s Campus Public Safety Office at (802) 865-6465, or by dialing 3333 on any residence hall or campus phone.